Goat Meat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by animal_kingdom, Apr 10, 2005.

1. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

With the last goat meat question, I thought of something I've wanted to know for a while.

I've never had a goat butchered over 3 months of age. Never tasted it older than that.

Does anyone know the ranges of the age to eat the meat typically?

I was thinking of holding onto a buck this year and soon castrating him to keep the meat from getting that "odorous" flavor. I would like more "bang for my buck"....lol...because the killing/butchering fee is the same no matter how large or small the animal.

What do you suggest is reasonable?
    (I'm speaking for a goat now off milk and on grain/hay/pasture.)

Thanks!

2. MM Alpines

MM Alpines New Member

I have raised meat goats for the local fair and they are usually butchered around five months.
    Although we have also had people request yearling animals for meat, I think this is too old and
    wouldn't suggest it. I'm not quite sure how old an animal can be before it starts tasting tough.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

They're not goats, but I've eaten 4 year old sheep before. The meat took long slow cooking and was very good. I also had some of the meat ground, and the resulting sheepburgers were really tasty.

4. animal_kingdom

That's a thought. A 1-4 year old goat probably is good as ground meat. That's alot of burger but it's so versatile with a large family.

Thanks for the idea!

5. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

ive butchered and eaten older goats,2-4 years
    the meat has more flavor, and its tougher, so its more for slow cooker stuff than anything , its too tough beyond that
    ground for sausage its good though , cause that eliminates any toughness

6. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

We usually butcher our weathers between six and ten months old and they are good eating. I cook them as I would a tender cut of beef or lamb.

7. animal_kingdom

Thanks for helping me on that one. I just hate with ending up with only 15-30 pounds of meat. I mean, that meat is good and very delicious but there are many times when herbs and spices lend a wonderful hand at any less tender cut of meat. And slow cookers are great for us, especially on the weekends with so much other things to do.

8. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

We also have butchered our goats at later ages like 10 months or so. Our butcher is able to make a roast, I am not sure what cut of meat it is, but they tie a string around it to hold it together. Cooked in the crock pot and you cut the strings and it just falls apart. Of course, ground meat is so versatile and I don't notice any difference in taste compared to a younger animal.