Goat Meat Recipies

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamasaanan, May 20, 2004.

1. mamasaanan

mamasaanan Well-Known Member

Two of our wethers are making the journey to the slaughter house Monday. I think it was chasing them out of the cornfield that finalized the decision. Now I need some good goat meat recipies. Suggestions? Thanks

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We havent slaughtered any of our goats yet but I have been told its much like venison.

We grind most of our deer meat into burger and sausage just keeping the tenderloins. We grow and can 100 Q of tomatoes and so we eat alot of spaghetti and chilli (using burger). Sometimes I'll take some of the lesser steaks and strip them 1" cook with tomatoes and peppers and onions for 1 hour to reduced thick consistency and put into hot dog roll with cheese. I spice with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, pepper and red pepper flakes for those who like it HOT! Any stew you make with tomatoes will help to tenderize the meat and get rid of any gamey flavor.

Hope this helps!

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

any venison or mutton recipe will suffice. They also make a nice, lean sausage

4. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I personally prepare goat just like I do beef. I have a meat slicer so I can make steaks and cook them on the BBQ. We eat goat instead of beef. Older goat meat I prepare like I would mutton.

5. caprinequeen

caprinequeen Member

How much like venison is goat meat? I don't care for deer meat at all. Does that mean that the meat is 'gamey' or 'goaty'? I had a bite of goat roast many years ago and I think I remember it as being pretty good.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I've only ever had young goat, we always preferred to butcher out bucklings around 2 months of age rather than chance them going to a bad home. At that age, it's really good, not gamey at all (at least not grain and hay fed anyway). I like it smoked, bbq'd, or made the same way you'd cook lamb.
    If you're not careful about getting all the stray hairs off, they will leave a funky flavor, so you might want to wipe the carcass down with a damp vinegar rag.

We butcher our own at that age, and split them into front and real leg roasts, ribs, and tenderloin.

7. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

CJ at 2 month old how much meat did you get from the goat?

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

we have an 11 week buckling about to be butchered. Thought to chill the carcass for three days marinade for one and slow roast on a spit. Do you guys think the meat will be tough ?

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't ever weighed the carcass, but I'm guessing the last one we did butchered out around 15 lbs useable meat (34lbs live weight).

As for tenderness, heck we usually end up cooking part of one the same day we butcher it. At that age, it's pretty hard to make them tough.