Goat Meat at the fair

Discussion in 'Goats' started by seanmn, Aug 7, 2006.

1. seanmn

seanmn Well-Known Member

My friend and I were pondering the question of having a stand at the fair and serving goat meat, we were thinking of smoking the meat and serving the meat shredded in a sandwitch or sort of like beef brisket. Question is would something like this really go over that good? The city where the fair is at is about 70,000+ people, and does have some hispanics and africans.

The goals would of course be to:

1. make a profit
    2. promote the benefits of goat meat

Also not sure about how the meat would have to be inspected, obviously we probably coudn't butcher the goats ourselves. Is it ok if there butchered at a locker? If anyone has tried any of this or had the same idea I'd love to hear your input.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

How long A wait is there at the Fair to get A food type venders deal?? You might need to use the French name for the meat, It will sound Exotic that way. And try thinking about portion sizes, I would Approach the fairboard with already cooked Samples for them to try first..

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

It would have to be butchered at a USDA insected site. You would need a vendors liscence and maybe a health dept one to. Call the local fair board they should be able to help. Plan on lots of little samples.

4. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

If you have a lot of hispanics I would use the name "cabrito" instead of the French, "chevon".

This is a good idea. We have a large hispanic community here that I am trying to figure out how to market to.

kids

5. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

One of the local clubs did something similar, they sold kielbasa type sausage here and sold out very quickly. I went with a friend to buy some and they had just 1 left so I let her have it. Their problem was not having enough. They gave tiny samples and it was very tasty stuff so went fast. People like things that are different, I think you would do very well with your idea.

6. seanmn

seanmn Well-Known Member

As far as I know theres a waiting list to get in but thats for the usual stuff ( corn dogs, cotton candy,etc...) There more interested in having something new. I dont know about the meat inspection thing...We'd prefer to just have state inspected rather than buying meat from some supplier that....prefer to use healthy young weathers and doelings that are high percentage boer

7. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

We had a social after our Boer show a couple of years back and they made sloppy joes. The Barbque one went fast. It was easy because it was chopped meat.

8. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Wouldn't you have to have a kitchen that is approved by the health dept if you did your cooking off site?