Goat mastitis

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cheryl in SD, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I wrote in a little over a week ago about a goat with mastitis. I did the today treatment, and it appeared to clear up. I did notice a hard lump that I have been massaging daily. As I massage it and it is going down, I am noticing more lumps in the milk again. Do I need to do another round of Today, or is there something different I need to do, or is this normal?

Thanks,
    Cheryl

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I believe that with today it is two treatments like 12 hours apart? Not sure... Maybe another round wouldn't hurt. You should get a CMT test, it's easy and not expensive at all... I've heard that a goat can be slightly mastitic even when it isn't visible, so checking for mastits every other week might be in order. Are you using teat dip, and keeping your doe as clean as possible?

3. Cheryl in SD

I started her on another round of Today this morning. I picked up the CMT test today and will check both sides tonight, unless someone tells my you can't after using Today!

I just want to be sure myself.

Joyfully,
    Cheryl

4. Caprice Acres

Well, I don't know that you can't use it while treating, but I would personally test after the milk withdrawl time is up. That way you know if it is safe to use the milk. :) Also, I dont' know that the CMT test would do in the presence of the antibiotic; it may give you a false reading, IDK. You could probably email or call up the makers of CMT to ask when you should test again after a ToMorrow treatment.
    Goodluck and I hope your doe gets over this!

5. Cheryl in SD

I just read your post. I got the BIG kit (1 gallon of stuff, all they had) so I went ahead and tested her. One side was fine, one is +++ positive. :(( Fiasco Farms suggests 4 treatments 12 hours apart, so that is my plan. I will then wait 96 hours and retest, if she still has it, I will call the vet for penicillin.

I did notice while massaging tonight, that the large lump is breaking up some, and that is a plus!

Joyfully,
    Cheryl

6. Caprice Acres

You can get penicillin at your local supply store, or at www.jefferslivestock.com. I would call for a dosage. My vet always give a higher dose than the bottle reccomends.