Goat Manure?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Lizza, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a lot of composting straw bedding with goat manure. Can we put this on the garden when we put everything to bed this fall? We usually put on chicken manure but don't have that available like we do all of the goat manure.

Any tips would be great, Thanks!!

2. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

I use mine and it is great!

kids

3. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

I've wondered about this too .... do you find it "burns" the plants at all? Is it better to use after it composts a year or can you use it "fresh"?

4. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Goat manure does not burn like chicken manure. You can use it "straight from the goat" :dance:

5. Lizza

So it is a good manure to use? My BIL insists that chicken is better because all the farmers around here use chicken.

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

I hear that COMPOSTED chicken manure is best, but hey, you can't use fresh chicken doo on the garden or it will burn your plants. And I say USE THE POO YOU HAVE. Why buy something else? Goat poo is still great fertilizer - my plants love it and I don't have to be patient waiting for it to compost. (BTW I have a hefty pile of pig and chicken doo composting as we speak!)

kids

7. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

I use mine too...straight on the vege patch, and plant the next day. Some here pile it up for a few months while it composts a bit then use it but I havent had any trouble using is straight out the Goat house. Hubby cleaned out 2 of the stalls today so I now have two great mounds of the stuff out the back.

8. Lizza

My thoughts exactly! I figure that all the organic farmers use it (he works for an organic distrabution place) because he's the only game in town that sells large quantities of manure like that. We have goat manure so we should use that!

Our goat bedding has been composting (and adding to it) for about a year now so it should be really nice. We are going to try the Lasagna Gardening method this fall for next spring.

9. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Aged chix manure is better BUT Definately use the goat! We do both actually.

AND if you have any poop left over and still composting in full sun plant pumpkins or squash or cukes in it and you'll be amazed...we have 3 piles planted each maybe a couple of cubic yards each...one was planted with just 4 pumpkin seeds...20 jackolanterns growing!!! Another has a 6-pack of summer sq. about 12 plants making about 10 pounds of sq. every 3 days :shrug: I had cukes here in Maine by mid June in a poop pile....
    Another pile has b-cup squash loaded from 6 plants...

10. Lizza

Thanks for the great tips!