Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone knows of goat lung/respiratory diseases that can be passed to other animals or humans. I bought a few goats from a (supposedly) reputable breeder. We slaughtered one after she started going sideways and never recovered, even after multiple treatments. The butcher said she had "something wrong with her lungs" but couldn't give many details. The other goat coughs frequently and never seems to be fully fine. My other goats (7) don't seem to be affected. My dog, however, hacked for MONTHS after drinking goat milk. Related or not? I now have a 7 month old daughter and my does are about to kid. I'm concerned about drinking the milk myself and letting her drink it. What should I test for or am I just being paranoid and it's all unrelated?

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
The only lung disease I would imagine that could be passed on from a goat to another animal would be TB. Though rare in goats, it you're concerned, have the vet test them. Usual causes of lung issues in goats are pneumonia, CAE or lungworm. With pneumonia, if it's not treated fast enough or the goat isn't given Banamine along with the antibiotic, scarring could occur, which may be what the butcher saw. I'd also test the goatsn for CAE to be on the safe side. People can't get that, but you wouldn't want the babies to nurse those does. As for your dog, it may have an allergy to goat's milk or the cough may have just been a coincidence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts