Goat leg got wire wrapped around it!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoldenWood Farm, Oct 14, 2004.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Ok.....well my hotwire was off for just one day and it happens! My boer doe Ramsey got wire wrapped around her back leg nice and tight. When I got there her ankle was all swollen and everything. I got the wire off and started rubbing her leg hard as I could without hurting her to get the blood flowing good again. My question is what else should I be doing for my poor baby? She is doing better now since at first she didn't want to use the leg at all....but her leg is still nice and swollen up. She is using her leg though thank god! Anything I should be watching out for? (yes i got the wire turned back on and now know to never leave it off even for a day :no: ) Anything I can/should be giving her? Or just let it alone for a little while.

MotherClucker

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

If the leg starts to feel cold, it will be your first clue that you have problems. The swelling is normal.

You could clean the leg and then massage DMSO into this area, with gloved hands, this will help with blood ciruclation. But realistically it will either be fine, you caught it quick enough, or she will loose the leg. IF the leg gets cold to the touch which will start in the hoof, call the vet. Vicki

3. GoldenWood Farm

So far its nice and warm...even when I caught it the leg was nice and warm..so hopefully everything will be fine.

MotherClucker

4. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

Giving a tetanus shot might not hurt !

5. GoldenWood Farm

Why a tetanus shot? The wire didn't cut her or anything. I checked her all over just incase of that. It was just wrapped around her leg tightly.

MotherClucker

6. WolfSoul

WolfSoul Well-Known Member

So sorry this happened to your baby. Please keep us posted on how it goes. Karen

7. GoldenWood Farm

Well when I looked at her today the swelling is down to where I can't tell she ever hurt it and she is acting as if nothing ever happened. Yippie! I am so glad nothing horrible happened!

MotherClucker