Goat kids month early

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinker-girl, Feb 16, 2005.

1. tinker-girl

tinker-girl Member

I have a goat that had 2 kids today and they were at least a month early. We got some alfalfa a week ago and started feeding them some. I was feeding 14 goats about 2 sheets or leafs a night. Was it the alfalfa that did it or was it just a freak thing that happens sometimes. This was her 3 kidding season. Thank you for any info you can tell me.

2. tinker-girl

tinker-girl Member

i forgot to say that the kids were dead also.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

well first off, 2 flaks isn't enough for 14 goats, more like a bale I would say, I give 4 goats a half to a whole bale a day.next, you hav to give them plenty of water, and keep it out at all times, then you need to give them goat minerals, one bag lsts a long time, some people free feed. I mix with the grain, and giveto each girl daily, so I know that te yget this, it is so important for them to get theri trace minerals, with out these , they could miss carry, also you need to start graining, about 2 months before the due date. start with just a cup full and work it up. My goats get 2 .1/2 pounds twice aday. the grain keeps mom healthy, and helps her to make her milk. I use purnia, but some people use other kinds. my goats also get a BOSE sot every 50 days, and a vit. b complex shot,mine are also wormed about evry 6 weeks, or when it shows up. I take the poop berys in to the vet.. and he checks from each of the girls, as to when to worm. and with waht.
    I am very sorry for your loss. I hope that your other does give you really nice babies. they are so much fun. I have two kitchen babies right now, and had to givethem a soapy enama, to get their little bopttoms going. they are fine now. up and running all over,.
    they had their tetinus shots, and BOSE, and Vitiman B complex shots, right after birth . and I put one shot of nutri drench each day.

4. Dream Acres Va

Dream Acres Va Member

Nutrition is normally a large factor in an early birthing. But other factors could be involved. To find out why you doe had this specific problem, the kidds and placenta should be placed in a plastic bag, sealed, and delivered to the state lab or vet and have a necropsy performed (animal autopsy). A blood sample from the doe would also be helpful (your vet can show you how to do this, and supplies can be gotten from the vet or places like Tractor Supply). One of the specific things that you need to request is to see if the abortion was due to a chlamydial abortion. Ask the state lab or vet all of the test they will run, such as a bacteria count, etc. You should receive a preliminary report within 3 to 5 days, a full blown report in about 3 to 4 weeks. The necropsy is not very expensive, $66 in Va. But it can be very important to the health of your herd and to your wallet/bottom line. After receiving the report you can then discuss what to do with te doe (should you bred in the future, vaccines, eating habits, etc.).

But in the mean time, when an abortion occurs, isolate the doe from the herd. Clean up and burn the materials from where the abortion occurred, in case it was an infectious cause. A small percentage of examinations which reveal an infectious cause but this is partly due to laboratories not receiving the correct samples. Please NOTE: some agents that cause abortion are responsible for DISEASE IN HUMAN BEINGS, so observe personal hygience, wear gloves!

After you've separated the doe, make sure she expells everything associated with the birthing. Wear gloves, and clean her up. Also give her 3 cc of pencillin 2 times a day for seven days to make sure any infection associated with the abortion is taken care of. Monitor her temperture. If she does not eat/goes off feed, give her 1 cc of Vit B complex (this stimulates her appetite), and Nutri-drench. Do this for three days. Also, give her 2 cc of BoSe. Even though the doe has lost her kidds, she has still given birth and should be treated as if the pregnancy were full term, but with extra care (pencillin, etc.). This doe should have plenty of good hay and water. (Alfalfa is not needed, you will not be milking her). Also, monitor her udder to make sure she does not get a infection, and that she dries up.

If she is not eating on her own, then call the vet. Also, if she gets down and won't get up or you can't get her up, call the vet. You can also give her molasses with warm water to help her out. If she is extremely lonely and is becoming depressed, be understanding, she just lost her babies. Put a companion in with her, but make sure it is an UN-pregnant doe or a wether. We keep several wethers for instances like this.

After all reports come back, you may be able to breed her next year, and have very healthy babies. You should discuss your herd management with your vet.

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

The alfalfa wouldn't have caused the abortion, if that's what you're asking. Especially not that small an amount of alfalfa. If they weren't used to eating it they might scour a bit, but not to the point where it would hurt the babies.

6. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

When you said you fed two flakes of hay, were the goats on other hay such as grass or timothy along with the alfalfa? Are they on pasture too? How much grain did she get? Have you had goats awhile or are you new? (though with 14 it sounds like you've got some experience.) Hard to even guess at why the premature delivery without more info.

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Well if 14 of my Nubians were fighting over two flakes of alfalfa hay with nothing else, yep I would say the alfalfa hay would have caused the fightening and the subsequent abortion :waa: Vicki

8. rickdog

rickdog New Member

One of ours did that last week.
    She is smaller than the other females, but still goes in the scrum at feed time. A larger doe knocked the crap out of her and she delivered two premies. One survived a few minutes.

9. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe we shouldn't all jump to conclusions and these are the big 800-1000 lb. square bales. LOTS of people are making all their alfalfa into these now. So, the term that's used - "Sheets" really does apply. That's a HUGE slab of hay! some bales are 4x4x7 or 3x3x8. So two of those would easily be 40 lbs. know this, as this is what my first crop is right now. Just something to point out.

Sorry about the loss. Losing babies is always hard.

10. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

and maybe she didn't only feed alfalfa but some other hay too? there are so many things that can lead to an abortion in a goat. we would have needed much more info. also was the alfalfa good or moldy? feeding alfalfa doesn't cause abortion. sorry for your loss
    susanne

11. tinker-girl

tinker-girl Member

Thank you so much to all that responded to my question. I have not been able to get back to respond til now. SORRY. We have been feeding the goats hay that has clover, timothy, and don't know for sure whatelse is in it. But is it what we have always been feeding them. The alfalfa is the regular square bales, and the goats are also on pasture, and I feed them grain. They are all pretty healthy goats, I have never had this problem before. I just had another one have her kids a week early but so far they are doing fine. But she isn't dropping her milk. The kids are still trying to nurse cause she does have some. I luckly had colostrum in the freezer from last year. And also milk. They are doing great on it too. Thanks again for all responders