Goat is my Copilot =)

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wooly1s, Jul 4, 2006.

1. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

We drove a couple of hours north yesterday to bring home four darling fiber goats...meet Basil, my copilot. Yes, all four goats rode in my Minivan with me and my four children. Isn't that how all the cool goats gad about??? :)

[​IMG]

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine ride in a Suburu wagon.

3. Egypt Run

Egypt Run Active Member

My wife and I haul our goats in our minivan. Judy was once stopped by a trooper and when the trooper saw the goats he started acting like a big kid, petting them and laughing. Judy at the time had eleven goat kids in the back. We take out the rear seats and put up a baby gate to keep them confined to the back. I have had as many as five milkers and six yearlings comfortably in the minivan at one time.

Steve of Egypt Run Farm

4. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Mine ride in the backseat of my Sunfire, attached to a seatbelt - otherwise they're in my lap, telling me "I'm an excellent driver" (a la Dustin Hoffman :p ).

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I have both back seats out of the back of my minivan. When I haul goats, I tie them to the seatbelts, too -- but have been thinking I really need to fix a barrier. Loose kids have tried to climb up front with us, and my autistic daughter vehemently disapproves -- she's fine with them as long as they stay in back, but in her world they don't *belong* in front with us (she's fine with even a big dog on her lap when we are traveling, though -- but not anywhere else! She's a riot sometimes.)

Kathleen

6. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

That is soooo sweet :) She looks as though she's about to tell you to watch out for something. One of my little bucklings (whom I love dearly) rode home at three days old in my oldest daughter's lap in the minivan(other three kids in the back) all the while chewing on her hair looking for his bottle.

I just love those goats...and obviously you do too. :)

Malissa in Texas

7. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

You know you're in a good neighborhood when nobody thinks it's odd to see you taking a goat for a car ride. :)

Lynda

8. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

I can relate...we brought home my dh and I, our 4 human kids and 2, week old saanen babies last week in our ford taurus. aaahhh memories :)

9. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

That is so cool. Yes you are a cool goat dad. :angel:
    I bet during the ride you received more weird looks. Those people who saw it, I am sure they thought they were going crazy, Maybe checking their drink? :eek:

10. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice photo! Yes, she looks like a "back seat driver"! "watch that dog at the side of the road!" "Be careful, that car looks like it's pulling out!" LOL!

Jennifer

11. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

How awesome! I love that pic! :)

12. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

When we started out in the feeding "goat business" we had a short mini-van and my beloved had a 3 month old buck in her lap and an older doe hog-tied in the floor next to her for a short thirty mile trip.

She's a born and bred "town girl," who was rapidly being converted, and that trip was the line between "they smell" and "aww, they are so cute!"

Our next vehicle turned out to be a much longer version, with a real nice sterio, plush seats, auto-everything, and rode like the proverbial Cadilac! I'll remember what the biggest buying points of that old van (for her) was forever; "Honey; we can go much further, get a whole herd of goats, and ride home in style in this one!" What a girl!

As for "Ride home in style" goes, I'm still pondering that part, but as for the rest of the buying points, we did get 4 does (two with 2 kids each), 300 pounds of feed, 2 eight foot gates, ten feed buckets, a thirty gallon aquarium w/all the trimmings, AND a 300 gallon watering tank in that old van... and traveled over 200 miles to get it all! Talk about a trip, and some right strange looks!

I can say however, all that stuff fit right nicely in the back, and we had some real nice country music on the way back! As a matter of fact, even though they were "yankee" goats, they had even started talking with a southern accent by the time the house showed up on the horizon!

Hillbilly's ain't got nuthin on us!

It was a fun trip
    Wing and the Super-glue Lady