Goat info request

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Wishfull Farmer, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Wishfull Farmer

Wishfull Farmer New Member

Hello to everyone, I am new here this is a great site I just was reading some of the posts for over an hour, great info. My name says it all. My wife and I live in CT with our kids on about 2 acres, we have some chickens, a couple of dogs and want to get some small dairy goats. I need some help in this department. I can fence off a large area of the property for the goats so that would not be a problem, we want goats that are docile and females. We have been doing some reading and kind of like the dwarf variety, but are open minded to some degree. Any info, suggestions, help would be welcome. ALso are there any goat breeders in western CT?
    Thanks guys

Rob

2. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I am assuming that you want milk from your goats, you're gonna have to get them pregnant before you get milk more than likely. I don't know of many who would sell a goat that's giving milk. You might start with a pair of does that are pets for someone and in good shape but need a home, then you can get one or both pregnant. That's how we started. I have very friendly, loving goats and we just had our first baby 2 days ago. I don't want the milk, I just want fun pets.

One word of advice, if you fence off an area, you might make it just big enough for 2 areas. You can use the second for when babies are young and to rotate the other goats to, it'll help keep parasites down. I have 2 but no one likes the huge pasture, (I think it's because the other one is close to my house and they can see and hear me) so our goat area is getting dirtier than I would like.

Since it's baby time for most, you might be able to find someone who has babies that will want to sell them about the time your fencing is done.

Good Luck

3. Wishfull Farmer

Wishfull Farmer New Member

Thanks for the advice. I knew that they would have to be pregnant to lactate, and yes we do want the milk. The fencing should be done this weekend if the weather holds out. I have divided an area for two sides and the third is the one I need to finish.

Thanks again

Rob

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

You have dogs too; you might lobby for a dog forum. We like regular sized dairy goats and prefer Alpines for their sweet demeanor and general good looks. You can sometimes find a good animal in milk or one close to kidding; we got lucky.

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I cant recall anyone on here from CT but there are lots in NY which is probably not too far to go...2 doelings will fit into a large dog crate for transportation.
    You may even find a doe and her kids from someone who has too much milk and goats....which happens really fast!

Fair warning...goats are addictivly wonderful!

Checkout www.fiascofarm.com for lots of good info.

We have mostly Nubians at our place in MAine....crosses are cheaper and usually give just as much milk and the offspring of two crossed breeds usually gives you fast growth rates...handy for short summer seasons! See Hybrid Vigor....