Goat in poor health....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

All is well on our ranch except for one Nubian doe. She hasn't adjusted well to herd life. The other goats were butting her away from the food and she is so passive that she won't eat. Well, she has gotten so thin. I dewormed her and started her on Red Cell b/c her gums are completely gray colored. She started acting better and eating with the rest. Then she stopped eating again. I moved her to the side of the barn with the younger goats so she would be the oldest one and now she is eating OK. I took a fecal sample to the vet and she found only one worm egg. That is pretty good. Her hair is thin, dull and brittle. She is eating but is sluggish. She has diarrhea. Is there something I'm missing here? Could it be that she just wasn't eating enough for so long and it has made her anemic and deficient in some things? I don't want her to die. She was bred a couple of months ago too. Any ideas?

2. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Have you given her a good mineral mix to eat?

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Does she have a good mineral?? Did the vet check the fecal for coccidiosis?? Where she came from is there a chance of Johnnes??

4. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

All the goats have free choice mineral. I'm not sure she had it where I got her from. We've probably had her about 3 months or so. I don't know exactly which farm she was born at. I guess there is always that chance although it isn't super common, I don't think. I assumed she checked for coccidiosis. She is over 2 years old. I know adults can get it but it isn't common. Her poop isn't that tar color like with cocci. I don't know. You are thinking maybe some sort of wasting disease. Whatever it is....it isn't affecting the rest of my goats. They all look terrific. If she went to long without enough to eat, could that cause this? That would cause a deficiency in many things I'd think.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

At this point I'm just throwing anything that pops into my head your way. With her being beaten down for a few months, she is highly susceptable to anything, cocci not the least. Adult goats in poor condition can get cocci quite easily.
    I doubt it is a wasting disease such as Johnnes, but like I said anything that pops into my head. Johnnes can have quite a long incubation period, so other goats not showing symptoms doesn't necceasarily mean much. I certainly hope its not.
    I would probably give her something at this time to try and stop the scours. If you think its just from poor nutrition, try to stop the scours and just slowly feed her up. :shrug:

6. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Milk n' Honey..I can fully sympathize with you..as I have a five year old Nubian doe doing the exact same thing, except for the diareha. She too was in a small bunch of goats..that she has run with forever..and this time she ended up being low woman on the totem pole. Why..I just don't know.

She is extremely thin..but has a great appetitie. I do hope you find an answer..I will be watching this thread with great interest.

Wishing your doe well.

7. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i don't know where this goat came from or were you are located. johne's is always a possibility with a goat that went through many hands or through sales barn. severe copper deficiency can have diarhea and anemia as well.
    gums are not a very good place to check if anemia is present. lower eyelid is much better.
    one possibility to check for copper blood level is to draw some blood and send to a lab. some of the more experienced will come out and say you can only test from liver biopsy although this might be the more accurate test but blood works too.
    if it would be my animal i would test for johne's as well. was she tested for cae?
    parasite load is difficult to evaluate in a doe that has diarhea. what kind of wormer did you use and what schedule did you had?
    sometimes we can be so busy that we forget the follow up worming :rolleyes:

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

One egg on fecal only means its the one they found. Adult blood sucking moms lay eggs, and this time of year they don't lay alot of eggs to be pooped out onto frozen ground. They arrest the larve they hatch and they stay in the system until spring. The adults drink blood, hence the grey gums.

Can you even imagine how stressed this doe is, the bottom doe of all pecking orders in all of our herds need better managment than all the others. Bring her in daily for her own food. You wormed her, but if the wormer you used doesn't kill the adult worms she has it only sloughed off eggs and some adults. When you have a doe dibilitated like this, or a new goat period, you really ought to do the 3 cycle worming, every 10 days with something going after the highest majority of worms in your area, this kills the lifecycle of the worms. So now you have put an adult doe with a severe worm infestation that likely you aren't worming for, in with your KIDS! YIKES! She is now having diarrhea which is usually from bloodloss in adults from worms.

Pen her by herself, clean up the pens as much as you can and worm your kids. Put her through the 30 day worming cycle and use something like cydectin. It will take several months to build her back up, you should have nipped this in the bud immediatly..and she should just now be coming out of quranteen and moving in with the herd. After several weeks pull one of your more submissive does out of the main barn, to pen with her, after they have buddied up then move her in with the main herd.

It's hard to move one new doe into a group of old witches! They may not overtly kill her, but with nothing to eat, no warm place to sleep, and beating her down to keep her in her place, it is a slow death. Vicki

9. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Just wondering how is the doe doing?