goat housing question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by meggie, Oct 19, 2004.

1. meggie

meggie Well-Known Member

I know this may seem like a silly question. I moved from florida to Arkansas. I raised goats in florida and it was very simple to house them. Here we have a very big barn/loafing shed that is open on the front,with stalls and pens inside. Will this be alright come winter snow?

thanks, meggie

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Since we are also looking to move to Arkansas I have done some homework but am not able to speak from experience. Here in South Dakota it gets a bit colder than Arkansas has even known (except during the ice age) and what you describe is fine as long as the animals are acclimated to the area (these aren’t recent Florida resident goats are they?).

As long as they have a way to get out of the wind and rain they seem to do well, even when our high for the day is -15 with a 30 mph north wind.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

As long as the goats have somewhere to go out of the wind and drafts, they'll be fine.

4. trokarfarms

trokarfarms New Member

what do you all know about Arkansas that the rest of us don't...been looking to relocate myself, might just have to check out Razorback country, any info really would be great!?!