goat horns

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

When i got my Pygmy buck, Andre, last summer, he was around 5 monthes old and was not dehorned. since it was to late to dehorn him, i am waiting to see how his horns grow. which way do pygmy horns usually grow? his seem to be growing in an outward spiral, unlike my pygmy doe, who's horns grow back like a ram. is this usual? dont specific breeds have certain ways thier horns grow? how do I put pictures in the post?

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I was thinking pygmy horns grew straight up?

[​IMG]
    The black goat was our "Pygmy."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Trying to get some better shots, but Velvet just wasn't a doe to be near the front (she was the smallest mature doe we had). She is in the back in all these photos.
    In the lower picture, if you look at the upper left hand curve of the red cattle panel she is peaking in just through there.
    Her horns were straight adn her granddaughter, who is out of a Nubian buck and her daughter out of a LaMancha buck has horns that are growing fairly straight upwards at three years old. Whereas we have a half Pygmy doe (sire was a pygmy) whose horns curve back. The black doe in the middle right hand side of the group shot.

To post photos, you can join photobucket.com . Once you have joined upload your photos off your computer into your album. Once up, they give you three options underneath. Highlight the bottom of three options next to "Img" and then paste it into your message here.

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

In my experience my Bucks usually have different shaped horns than my Does, and then I've had two brothers that had horns that didn't look at all like each others. There's probly nothing to be concerned about and there's probly nothing abnormal about him.Bye.

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Just so that there is no confusion about my statment above, I have pygmy goats as well as Boer goats and one of them actually has very curved horns.

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

i wasnt really conserned about him, its just that he lives in a doghouse,and if his horns grow in an outward spiral, i was wondering if he will continue to fit through the opening!!