Goat Hoof Problem

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I had previously asked this question on the other board but have been unable to view it since, so forgive me for asking again here.

When I put my 2 Alpine Dairy Goats on the stand for milking I trimmed their feet up quickly while they were finishing their grain. I noticed that where the hoof splits the 2 inside parts of the hoof are "separating" . It looks like the outer part of the hoof is separating from the hoof. I trimmed the hoof up as short as I could and cut away any loose parts.

The girls eat Alfalfa pellets, coastal hay, fresh water. They get dry mix grain on the milk stand. They have free choice minerals and baking soda. They run in a pasture and stand under a large shed. It is not wet (quite the opposite here).

Any ideas as to why the hoofs are separating like this? Also should I use some coppertox on the hoofs?

Thanks
    Milking Mom
    Cotton Eyed Does
    New Waverly, Texas

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

It's usually a condition caused by minerals and wet weather. If you just purchased the goats :) than it's likely a weakened hoofwall that they came to you with. So feet paring is all you can really do while they get on your new loose minerals, and their cooper stores increase in their blood and liver, your hoof problems, with regular feet trimming during our wet weather will go away by spring. Why when I bring in new stock I use copper bolus's, so I don't have that long wait for better hair, better feet etc., with your girls thought bred this was not a consideration.

Trim the hoof horn up, it looks bad for awhile, until it evens out, you don't want manure packing into the hole, so you can not keep it flat. Koopertox being all copper is a really good hoof soak, or spray it on, it's just soo messy :) It isn't going to soak in and cure the hoof, but it will dry out the hole well. If you need me to come and help just call. Vicki

3. Milking Mom

Hi,
    Thanks Vicki. Yeh, I cleaned them up really good and short as I could. Got off all loose stuff. This is the does I got from Ric. I know Cher and KK were getting their minerals over there at Ric's and I have had them on loose minerals here too with copper 2500 ppm. It is puzzling to me. You are right about that coppertox being messy. I always get that green gook all over me. When I went to find it in the building last night it had turned over and naturally the top was lifted up so there was green gunk all over the shelf and floor. :eek: Oh well, I need to clean out that building any way. I'll pick up another bottle at the feed store Monday. Have you ever heard of soaking goats feet in bleach water? A neighbor was telling me that it could be a fungus??? (basing her info on a toenail she once had a fungus under)

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Hmmm actually it's quite shocking that it is those 2 does. I don't have a clue then, since they have been on our managment for along while. You may have to trim feet more than what you are doing. Are you feeding anymore protein than we are?

I will come over with my video camera for when you are going to soak their feet :) I would just use a strong solution, spary it on with a spray bottle, making sure to do between the toes good. But if it was a fungus you would have smell between the toes, missing hair and scally nasty skin between the toes and on the dewclaws. Might want to Koopertox everyone really well, up into the toes and dewclaw for awhile after trimming to make sure this doesn't spread if you think it's something like a fungus. Vicki

5. Milking Mom

No, no funky smell or missing hair. I'll p.u. some more coppertox today. Think that would make America's Funnies Home videos trying to soak goat's feet? :haha: :haha:
    Speaking of the new does, I do good to get those does up on the milk stand to trim their feet. I don't think they had ever been on a milk stand before. You know how big they are and I have to put their front feet up and then lock their head in the stanchion then lift their butt up. Then they stand there acting like they are going to fall off a 100 foot cliff any minute. :haha: I'll work on these feet for a couple weeks, if I don't see any improvement I'll give you a call and try to pick your brain. :confused:

6. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

We soaked with diluted bleach a few years ago..it isn't actually that hard. One person holds the lead/collar on the goat,the other person simply holds the leg you're soaking in the small bucket. It worked too,that and penG,and trimming the hoof wall.

7. Milking Mom

I soaked a horses hoof one time with a gallon baggie with the solution in it and vet wrapped it to him. I tied the lead rope to the fence out back and let him stand there for a while. It worked fine. Would probably work with the goats as long as they were on the milk stand. We'lll see. I stopped by the feed store today and picked up something for thrush that you squirt on their hoofs I washed their hoofs today and trimmed a little more and rubbed this medicine in all over their hoofs really well. It said to do this for 3-5 days. I'll try this and see if this works. I'll also trim quite often and don't let anything build up. Everybody got trimmed today and treated (just for good measure) I also washed my hoof shears in bleach water between each goat so I didn't spread anything.