Goat help for New start

Discussion in 'Goats' started by johnghagen, Feb 25, 2005.

1. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

:) Well since we have more time here at the farm and i am retiring from my factory job and will just have the market garden with wife to do,we are looking to raise dairy goats for milk and show.We live in central IL. so would like to have some names of people who have good stock for sale in a 200 mile area or a little more.The typs we are looking at are Alpines,Togenburg,Nubian but we are open for sugestions from all of you about which breed is better and why.Would love to go to a dairy goat show and Emailed the Il dairy goat Ass. for a list of shows but no input,does any one know when a show is coming this spring.We will travel a day to see one on a weekend as this is not our busy time and we could look at a lot of breeds at one time.We would rather start out with good stock and have a good base as our soon to be here first Grandaughter may go into 4H Hope Hope but i degress.Thank You All John (The Good Earth Farm)

2. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

Some good websites to go to are:
    www.adga.org
    www.alpinesinternationalclub.com
    www.i-n-b-a.org
    nationalsaanenbreeders.com
    www.nationaltoggclub.org

We have two Alpine and one Saanen does. We got the Alpines by default. That means that daughter wanted kids and that was what we found from a breeder. Then we moved ninety miles and found all kinds of friends with goats. Friend gave daughter Saanen doe kid. Now an Alpine breeder is giving her a kid this spring so that she has a papered doe to show. Our experience is that the Saanens are more docile than Alpines. I wouldn't trade our Alpine does for anything. They are hard working and easy keepers. We chose to not have Nubians because they are obnoxiously loud and we only have a small piece of land, but there are plenty of them around. Another friend just stared with Oberhaslis. So much depends on the breeders around you and availability of breeding stock.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Oh I love folks who start asking questions before they get their goats. Visit us at http://dairygoatsplus.com/forum/index.php. Figure out your facilites first, visiting lots of places helps. Go to ADGA.org and join, also look up the clubs in your area on the site. Join the local one and get their newsletter. No better information anywhere than from folks local to your area! Caprinenews.com is the best goat information paper, it also has shows listed by state along with breeders listed by state. Don't buy a goat until you know what CAE, CL and Johnnes are, how to test and what the tests mean. Don't purchase a milker who does not come into the milkroom and jump up on the milkstand, or with perhaps the gentlest of pressure on her collar since there are new folks in the barn. Milk her yourself and taste the milk warm, the best way to tell if she has off flavor milk. Purchase from those who use prevention only, and purchase from those doing what you want to do with your girls eventually. No sense buying high production goats from a dairy and then taking them home to nurse their kids! Improving the breed to not be embarassed showing (I am not talking local county shows) is not happening in Nubians, purchase the best you can fine for sale, and only breed in bloodlines. Find a breeder willing to answer all the unending questions you are going to have, then buy from the one you like the most who will give you ongoing help. Don't think you are going to show someones culls if they are not showing themselves.

If you like the look of the swis breeds there certainly is alot less competition in them. You either love Nubians or your don't, and you will not be in them long if you are lukewarm. They are loud, they are demanding, they all have different personalities, why I like them so much, a herd full of white even tempered goats who look and act the same, wasn't for me. Nubians are also the hardest to breed true. I don't think you can do one breed justice when you have several breeds. To buy top bucks to really improve you, is expensive. Learning to AI takes time and learning about the goats, their heats, drugs to help you, and their anatamy, defienetly not for someone who hasn't been around livestock alot.

If you purchase from a breeder you admire, than listen to them. They know their bloodlines better than anyone else, follow their lead on who to breed to. You may have to change your worming, minerals or feeding program around a bit if you purchase far away from your farm, but do so gradualy over months not days or weeks. And ask questions! Vicki

4. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Hi, I agree with everything that Vicki says except the part about only one breed. I have Toggs, Nubians, Alpines and Saanans and Boers. I also keep the prospective bucks for each breed. And yes, you have to look at bloodlines.I waited for two years for the right Togg buck to be born,so take your time and shop around. I don't show because I don't have the time ( I teach, make cheese and soaps, raise rabbits and chickens and have three beautiful grandbabies)so I'am very busy. I do sell my kids to 4H and FFA children. My Alpines have taken Best of Show and my nubbies will be shown this spring and summer.Just don't jump at anything,and don't be pressured to buy something your really don't love at first sight! P.S. The blending of the milks make for some very good tasting cheese! Good Luck

jr05