Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have two questions about two different goats. They are such boogers.

Berta came into her first heat of the season September 28th, and although was with bucks came back into heat 20 days. Again she was with bucks. Today is 16 days since her last heat. This morning she was tail wagging quite a bit, and the bucks seemed quite interested in her, but she wanted nothing to do with them. Could she be back in heat?

My other question is on a doeling. She was in with bucklings for awhile unexpectedly. Her sister had died suddenly and while we were trying to find a new herdmate for her she kept escaping to be with the bucklings. I have never seen any signs of her going into heat, but for the last week she has had some discharge. At first I thought maybe she was going into heat, but it lasted quite awhile, and didn't look like my other girls in heat. this was just a slight discharge, yellowish in color. It would get on her tail web and look crusty. No smell, and she seems completely normal? Could this be heat or a sign of pregnancy? We are getting ready to do blood draws so I will get her tested, but was curious on what you guys thought!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
For the first doe, she could just be wagging. My Sundae has waggy days sometimes, I don't know if she's just feeling happy or what, but she's not in heat and will run the buck off if he tries. The buck just sees wagging and thinks "wow she must be flirting with me it's worth a try!" If she won't stand she's not in heat. That being said, sometimes they'll wag and flirt when they're almost in heat, so keep an eye on her. Never hurts to put her in with the buck and see what they do.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it looks like Berta is in heat today! So I guess that answers that question! I do wonder if she may have difficulty settling as she had listeriosis last year...it was pretty bad but she made it. Or it could just be those short little Nigerians!!

·
Goslings say Weh-Wey-Weh!
339 Posts
You mentioned "Bucks" and then "Bucklings"
How old are the boys that the girls have been introduced to? Are they proven? If they are just junior bucklings, then perhaps they aren't *entirely* able yet. In our experience with Saanan, Alpine, and Nubian, the bucklings can take almost two years to mature enough to mount a doe AND impregnate.

With Kiko though, we had young not-weaned bucklings that were tall enough to reach even our Saanan so we had to separate them early. By five months of age, the buckling we held back had covered three does and sooo far they haven't come back into heat so some boys mature faster than others. Or like you said, maybe your NG just couldn't quite reach

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mentioned "Bucks" and then "Bucklings"
How old are the boys that the girls have been introduced to? Are they proven? If they are just junior bucklings, then perhaps they aren't *entirely* able yet. In our experience with Saanan, Alpine, and Nubian, the bucklings can take almost two years to mature enough to mount a doe AND impregnate.

With Kiko though, we had young not-weaned bucklings that were tall enough to reach even our Saanan so we had to separate them early. By five months of age, the buckling we held back had covered three does and sooo far they haven't come back into heat so some boys mature faster than others. Or like you said, maybe your NG just couldn't quite reach
Well technically they are bucklings (they are 8 months old)! Should have specified better. Our alpine went into heat once (the same time Berta did) but has not since so I assume she is bred. I was wondering if the Berta was just a smidge too tall for the bucklings. So far it doesn't seem the problem is the lack of them trying! We will wait and see what happens in a month I suppose!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts