Goat has large bump

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cheryl in SD, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

One of my goats has a large bump on her jaw. It is not where a CLE abssess would be but right on her jaw. I just brought home 2 of my does from breeding at the neighbors & they were fighting (they do this everytime). It looks to me like she got hit hard with the other does horn. Is this a possiblity?

Thanks

2. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I would think so the way goats thump on each other.

Or maybe a yellow jacket sting.

3. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

It could also be an abcess due to browsing, if your goat's have access to browse. A pricker can cause something like that. It really depends on the exudate from the abcess. You can always have it biopsied if you are worried.
    Niki

4. lyceum

lyceum Well-Known Member

It could also be a tooth abcess or from being poked with wire. We have had goats with both of these things happen. They have went away and never have had problems since.

Lyceum

5. orphy

orphy Well-Known Member

I just had a nanny come up with a lump on her neck. I was upset because my neighbor has goats and hers have cl. But this did not look like cl. And it came up over night. It turned out to be a snake bite. We did not know this until it opened up and we were cleaning it up, when we saw the two holes where the fangs went in. I have to say I was relieved.

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I just discovered one of my does has developed a large lump just below her left ear. It sure seems to hurt too. :shrug:

Ruth

7. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Ruth! My goats is below her right ear. Her's hurts too! It came up overnight & is smaller today. Could goats get ear infections?

8. orphy

orphy Well-Known Member

That was the biggest reason we did not think that my nanny's lump was cl. Because it was very painful when I touched it. She went up like a firecracker. And cl lumps do not come up over night.. If it is snakebite it will take a while to open. Mine took almost 2weeks. I cleaned it out gave her pen aquous for 4 days and kept it cleaned and put cut heal on it. She actually got bit twice once on each side the other side has opened and drained now and looks good also it was smaller though because the snake had used most of its venom on the first bite. It is really amazing how well she did with this. She was never off feed. She just was a little lethargic at first and that was gone the next day. Oh, also gave probios with penn.