goat gone wild on milk stand

Discussion in 'Goats' started by caticon, Jun 2, 2006.

1. caticon

caticon Member

I have a goat that kidded 2 weeks ago. She is nursing 3 boys that I seperate all night so I can milk in the morn. Well she jumps on the milk stand to eat but is wild up there. Every squeeze on her teat she kicks my hand. I have to milk with one hand and hold the bucket with the other. She is awful my daughter stands by her head to keep her fed and try to calm her, if she can get close enough she bites her! This the second year with us milking her bought her last year as a milker. She was always perfect on the milk stand. She is driving me crazy! I can't milk like this every day. I had one other milker but she died kidding a few weeks ago. I am really having a bad year. if any one has any suggestions for my kicker i would appriciate it!!!!!!!

2. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I usually do not worry about getting all the milk in the can. I make sure I do not let go of that teat. I find yelling does no good. The calmer you are the better. I will also remove their food if they fuss. I do tie them to the wall when on the milk stand. Granted I do not get much milk in the can but the minute they stand still they get back the bowl of feed. If they fuss again I take it away again. After a few days they understand. Or just get hungry,nofood unless they are on the milk stand behaving. Good luck and hope it helps.
    Steff

3. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

What did she do, stand up and start shaking her udder and dancing on a pole. LOL.

4. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

It is very frustrating to try to milk a goat that doesn't want to be milked. I have tied all four feet to each leg of the milk stand. And fastened her head to the stanchion. Do her kids cry for her while she is in the milkstand?
    Truthfully I have turned goats that I could not milk into goatburger. but since she milked well last year I am thinking there is another problem. Did you separate her kids last year? Usually to milk a goat, I bottle feed the kids. It does help for the doe to tranfer her all her maternal feelings to the milker. good luck

5. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

Why put up with the "song & dance"...Hobble her so she can't act out...Take twine & tie her leg back using your stand to anchor it..If she needs both legs done do the other also...She will learn not to fuss if you stop her from doing it right away..You don't have to allow her to bite either..Goats respect the hirachy of the herd & only bite the ones they can get away with biting...Be bossy...Feel good & get that milking done ...! GrannieD

6. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

she wants to keep the milk for her boys. if your daughter stand on the side of the doe and but a little bit pressure on the back she will stay still for you. you might need to do this two or three times and she will stay for you like last year.

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Is there anything different from last year? if you can't figure that out, I would sell her and replace her with a gentle doe. Back in the day, I had some horrible milk goats. I did not know any better, i thought they were all like that. Now I have milk goats that don't even need restaining. I open the gate, they run to the milk stand, put their heads throught the stanction and wait to be milked. A breeze! Absolute heaven! I will not put up with a fiesty goat again unless it is a feisty first frshener in trianing and then they would not last long around here if their temperment stayed bad. Just not worth the trouble. Part of my little goat business is breeding, raising and training goats to be gentle milkers for folks wanting nice, well behaved milk gaots that give lots of milk. Anything short of that is not worth the feed and aggravation. Just my opinion.

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my older does is causing me trouble this year. I agree with hobbling her. I have started tying the most offending back leg to the back rail of the milkstand. She can kick it all she wants and not reach the bucket.

9. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I agree. Tie that back leg to the stand. I dam raise and don't milk til the kids are off. I'm guessing they might fight it more, like was mentioned when kids are young. I don't let these fighting does get away with that nonsense. I have had a couple very stubbon ones.

10. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We have 2 ways of dealing with a kicker. Either we tie down the leg or hold it up so it throws her off balance. You might need to support her a little with your shoulder.

For at least a month before kidding, each expectant first freshener is fed once a day on the milk stand. I get her used to being up there, fitting into the routine with the other girls, touching her all over especially the udder, and she get a treat when she gets off. Peanuts in the shell are the treat of choice here. Knowing the milk stand routine BEFORE kidding made a world of difference.