Goat going Blind?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I have a doe that gets picked on pretty regularly by the others that appears to be blind or going blind. I just noticed today, that she didn't come when I was feeding everyone their grain. She ran from me which is weird because she knows that I ususally spoil her. I noticed that it looked like she couldn't see the food tray in front of her...of course she eventually smelled it and ate.

She hasn't bumped into anything but she didn't take her normall direct path the the food stores when I let her out. She usually likes to see if she can get her head in the food bags. This time she followed me and wandered off a bit.

I am feeding her separate from the others and I am noticing that she looses where the food is and backs up sniffing for it and I have to call her back over.

No signs of damage or illness...any clues and is there a way I can tell if she is blind now? Like I said, she hasn't bumped into anything but she hasn't found anything either.

Please let me know, I am worried!

2. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

Goat polio caused blindness and so does pink eye?
    Liz

3. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Have you used a pour on wormer lately and is there any chance that she licked it off (off herself or off another goat.)

We had a dog lick Eprinex of the goats. Signs of Eprinex poisoning include dilated pupils. Between the stoner effects of the Eprinex and very dilated eyes, Diva acted as if she was blind for the first 24 hours or so. She had poor vision and bumping into objects for several days. Diva was also VERY sensitive to sound and touch during this time.

If you suspect Eprinex poisoning, there is no antidote, but fortunately there is also no long term organ damage risk. Care is to watch for siezures or other distress and wait for it to wear off. For our dog, that meant 24 nerve wracking hours where she was staggering, bumping into things, and high as a kite, but she never had siezures or signs of shock. It took about 3 - 4 days for her eyes to get fully back to normal and for all behavior to go back to normal.

Also, if you suspect Eprinex or any other medication poisoning, our experience with the manufacturer was great. They had their vet call our vet within a few minutes.

Lynda

4. Croenan

She doesn't show any other symptoms that I can see except being blind. The only odd thing she did, and I suspect that she was blind or almost blind yesterday, now that I recall events, was eat some grain that had fallen on the floor of the garage. I stopped her but she ate some. There wasn't anything on the floor that would have concerned me.

I am thinking more along the lind of genetics ??? or maybe injury. Poor thing gets picked on sooo much. Luckily all of my goats are trained to stay close to home but unfortunately I have no where safe to put her at the moment. She always gets caught in the fence with her horns, so our other pasture is out of the question.

I am just wondering if it will do any good taking her to the vet because I can't pay for tons of tests. Any thoughts?

Corrie Ann

5. Croenan

Ok...I can't find any other reason besides polio so it's treatment she gets! She is spoiled and probably eats more grain than anyone. I am giving her about 300mg of b1 until I run out or the vet opens tomorrow. Cross your fingers.

6. Croenan

Well, I can't see major improvement, but i can see a little....she isn't acting quite as confused. (like backing away from her food and panicking in general) She could be just getting used to being blind, but since I see a small change after one treatment, I'll keep treating her today. I gave her a second treatment earlier this am.

Does anyone know, (if anyone is reading this) about how long it might be before some of her eyesight might return? It actually might be coming back slightly. She didn't flinch when I moved my hand towards her, but she is looking around like she might be seeing light and shadows. I dunno....please let me know your thoughts.

7. Teacupliz

I think you should ask for the steroid from the vet-- with polio it helps with the brain swelling and helps the recover sooner.
    Liz

8. Croenan

What steroid and what is it treating exactly.....I was thinking Polioencephalomalacia (thiamine deficency) and I can't find reference to a steroid.

9. Teacupliz

I am leaving right now but will try to look it up.. Ask your vet he should know. It helps with brain swelling and nerve damage.. I know i t helps them recover 80% faster.
    Liz

10. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I don't know for sure about anything, but I think that if she was blind as far as shadows and light goes, that she would be freaking out even more than if she was completly blind, at least that is what I have heard said about horses that go blind gradually. By the way, I will be praying that your goat gets better. Bye.

11. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Yes, they are "prey" animals and little shadowy movements that they can't detect the cause of freak them out.

12. Croenan

Hey! I was just out watching her and I think that she is getting some sight back. She is still tripping over stuff, but she also was in the grass and walked right over to a leaf and picked it up and ate it. The left was bright orange and she didn't even sniff at it, just went right to it.

Hmmm....you don't think she is faking it do you? LOL

13. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

The steroid is "Dex" but don't use it on a pregnant goat as it causes abortions.

14. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I would keep up with the B shots. It won't hurt even in mega doses and I have a feeling that's why your goat is improving.