goat floor q

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goat^farmer, Oct 21, 2006.

1. goat^farmer

goat^farmer Well-Known Member

what is the best floor for goat in winter. plain dirt floor, straw ors hay?

Our farm has close to 25 herd and clean floor this morning because the floor had hay on it an it a pain in butt to clean. Right nows got to let floor dry since the hya was on there now all raked up and out just plain dirt would u just leave dirt or put straw or ahy down for warmth in winter.?/ :shrug: We like hay but a pain to get ups.

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I have a dirt floor stall. But in the winter I do put straw down. Then in the spring clean it out. Once it gets warm, my does sleep right on the dirt (or in the old manger, or on the walls, lol... Wherever they want in that old stall!) To keep it clean for winter, just add more layers. Then clean it all out in spring. It's a big chore, but it's somethin that just should be done... Ya know? Especially if you have young kids born... Cold dirt can chill them thier first few weeks. Or it could hinder a sick doe from getting over the commmon cold or pneumonia.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I hated the straw, it was beautiful at first, but like hay (well not as bad as hay but almost) it was matted down and horrid to clean in the spring. With our humidity here, matted down hay or straw leads to staph dermatitis on ears and udders of does, it holds moisture under the bedding. I am a huge fan of shavings. I do not bed the barn for the milker until right before kidding end of Feb. Until then they live on racked out dirt/sand. I simply can't afford to bed the large milking barns stall, I do shavings the baby stalls (10x12 and 10x20). I also don't have the cold that folks up north have.

Biggest cause of listerosis here in the south is letting hay accumulate or using it for bedding, it molds, the does pick at it as forage levels drop. Vicki

4. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Last year my goats were penned up at night and slept on waste hay. It was nice to use the hay for something, but overall it was a pain, cleaning weekly, ammonia smells, fights for bedding sites, etc. This winter just dirt, with the majority of the pens open for use (no nightly lockdowns). However during extremely cold weather spells I will have one large pen with waste hay bedding available for use until daily temperatures return to normal. Kidding season begins in late January so kidding stalls will also have bedding. Seems like the more goats you acquire the more you adjust your methods....Tennessee John

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

It gets cold here, so my goats only lay on dirt floors when the weather is cool to warm. I have been cleaning my goat houses out and first putting down type S lime on the wet spots. I cover the floors with pine shavings and add more as needed. When it gets really cold in the winter, I add straw for warmth. I rake up wet straw and keep straw in the houses during the late winter and early spring kidding so the babies stay warm. I straw the kid house until the weather is warmer, when I switch to shavings. I do not use hay as bedding. It tends to compost faster than straw and the ammonia smell builds up faster. We feed alfalfa hay. I'm not sure if this would be true for grass hay.

6. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

I have dirt floors and around say late November I stop cleaning it out until spring when it warms up enought at night that they don't need it.

My goats are way to picky to eat anything that drops on the ground.

7. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

We finished our goat barn last month (!!!!YAY!!!!), and I had the guys build the whole thing on a gradual slope. Heavy, heavy rains have not come yet, but we will be digging drainaige trenches on two sides. Anyway, the floor is dirt as recommended most by the forum veterans.

I let them spread spent hay around the loafing area for warmth, and spread a lot of spent hay on the ground immediately in front of the barn where they stand to stare at me and bawl for treats, as it turned quickly into pee/poop/mud quagmire. Back in the kidding area, I've kept clean dirt and will spread clean straw or shavings when kids are born.

The stink is powerful, and we built for the "proper" space for 20 goats altho I have 10.

My goats are picky too, they start moaning/complaining when their hay no longer piles up over their heads in the feeder. I won't assume they'll never eat bad hay though, so I make sure their hay feeder is full.