Goat fencing

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rob30, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

Can anyone give ideas on how to train boer goats to an electric fence?
    I had a few goats this summer and fenced them in with a couple strands of wire and a non pulsing 1000 volt fencer.
    Now I have all the older kids and some new does that don't stop for the electric fence. The new fencer in a traditional pulsing fencer. The goats run under/through the wires before getting shocked.
    I am thinking of putting large chain collors on them to give a better connection when they touch the fence. I was told to wet their fur, but it is to cold for that here now.
    I want to fence them in so I can rotate through paddocks, instead of letting them wonder.

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you put flags(ties) on your fence? I'm of the opinion that the cattle would walk right through the hotwire if I didn't put ties on it so that they can see it. I haven't got my goats trained to hotwire, but I still think that would be the first step, making it visible so that they know it's there. I know my dog won't go anywhere near it since she got shocked.
    mary

3. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes it is flagged.
    And my dog won't go near it either.

4. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

It's difficult to keep goats in with just a couple of hot wires. If it shocks them behind the eyes, they think they're already out and keep going! Put up 4. One hot close to the ground, one 8 inches up, the next one up a ground wire, and a top hot wire.

5. mary,tx

How do you keep the wire close to the ground hot? Doesn't it short out?

6. Nick

Nick Nick

well i dont realy know what you all are talking about with flags but i like to hang tin foil on my fences. they cant resist something shiny anf often go touch it with there nose. soda cant work well too.

ours learned real quick, works well with unshorn sheep as well as the wool often kepps them from geting shocked until its to late

7. mary,tx

For flags, we just ripped up an old sheet and tied strips of it every few feet. It actually had the same effect you describe for the cattle. They were so curious about the flags, they walked right up and licked at them (naughty steers would also pull my laundry off the fence before I moved them to the other pasture.) It took each of them about three licks to decide to leave them alone.

The one day I let my does out thinking they would stay away from the electric fence, I came back to find two of them had gone under and were in my garden. The other three had taken off for the barn. The ones that were in the garden, though, had run aways from the fence. I thought I might have been able to train them if I had tried them a few more times, but didn't want to take the risk with my fruit trees.

mary

8. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

I have always cut the grass short under the last strand and then before putting stock on it I spray round up at 2x the strength to keep from having to keep it mowed. That way it doesn't short out. I, at one time had the goats so trained to the fence that I had a place that I had taken the fence down but it still had the outline from the Roundup and they stayed in it!!! Of course it only took one smart one to figure out the fence wasn't still there and the rest followed suit!!
    Another thing, asisde from what Westwood said about adding more wires(I always have 3, one hip high, one knee high and one ankle high) is to keep the fence tight. I also use a constant current charger. I have watched too many animals that could hear the pulsation and would get the rhythum down and go thru right before they got zapped!! :rolleyes:

9. mary,tx

I wish you hadn't mentioned running a straight current. One of my earliest childhood memories is, as a toddler, holding onto the electric wire with both hands, stuck. My granny was nearby and had to knock me free with a broom. The fence had been put up by the bordering neighbor. Dad always said straight current was illegal, I know it's not nice for little children. Dad had strong words for the neighbor that night.
    mary

10. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We have our bottom wire go through a cut-off switch. The idea being that we could turn just the bottom one off to weed eat when the grass grew up. Truth be told, we most often just leave it off and the goats have never noticed.