Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a question about goats, good place to ask i think lol. i have never had goats so i was wondering, what do they eat, is it hay and straw, shrubs, or what i gather that they dont eat grass like sheep or horses. so? any help here?

thanks
dean

real goat newbi.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
They need a pasture with grass and lots of browse. Straw is non food quality grasses, used as bedding. Hay is edible food quality grasses. Alfalfa mix is what you're looking at for breeding does. Grain is needed only in the last week or two of pregnancy and during lactation. NO grain to bucks/wethers, ever.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the hay and alfalfa kind of answered my question, i was picturing the goats on browse like moose and eating ever more areas each year and as i can grow hay and crops like alfalfa and grains in one year most woody browse takes several years to grow to appreciable size.

thanks
dean

·
Registered
641 Posts
My goats love grass! They'll eat almost anything. Our bucks and wethers get grain. They don't grow as well on just hay. If you don't care about how big the get, I wouldn't give them grain. Male goats can get urinary calculi from too much grain but more often it is b/c the feed is high in phosphorus and too low in calcium. Many times, people put too much corn in the ration, which is mostly phosphorus, but it is cheap. This is where the problems come in. Making sure there is plenty of fresh water to keep the male's system flushed out helps and making sure there is salt block can make the goat want more water. Free choice mineral has plently of salt in it if you want to go that route. However, in the case of my buck, he doesn't eat the mineral...never has. So, I gave him a salt brick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.