GOAT EMERGENCY

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

This thread is being rewritten today :) It's now 7-27-06 and was written 10-14-02 :). This thread is a guideline for how to use this forum for emergencies, not to post on:

Temperature?
    Symptoms?
    When was the last time you wormed?
    Wormed with what and how much?
    Is she pregnant?
    When did she last have kids?
    Is her milk normal if she is in milk?
    What age?
    Breed?
    Do you vaccinate?
    What do her lungs sound like when she is breathing?
    If this is a kid, is it nursing or on a bottle, goat milk or milk replacer?
    If a buck is he peeing normally or straining?
    Have they had a change of grain?
    How long have you owned this goat?

These are just some of the questions we will be asking you.... so ask your question on a new thread with the above answered in as much detail as you can.

Also feel free to contact those on the list either via private email or PM's, try several in case someone is busy. Vicki vickilonesomedoe@hotmail.com

2. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

Vicki ~

Is this saying we shouldn't ask questions here anymore? I tried the 911 site a couple of months ago and sent 2 emails and never got a response! :( I think people asking questions here helps us all learn. If everyone uses the 911 site, it will all be between a couple of people. Being a relative newbie at this, I would really miss reading troubles on this site. I always read posts with problems and tuck them away for future reference hoping they'll help me someday.

Please advise. ;)

Beth

fibromom likes this.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Oh NO Beth! It's just with kidding season fast approaching, many of us don't have time to check the boards each day. If someone has a true emergency, where they need help NOW! The first thing to do is to check the goatworld.com site Though it would be fine to email the folks on the goatworld.com site in a true emergency call! I know several of the gals on it, and we post our phone numbers on their for that reason!

Of course always post here also, but if your first post includes all the answers to the questions above, or at least some of them, we can answer/guess what's wrong without having to go back and forth.

I put the saanendoah.com site up because when we are busy or frantic we may put up the wrong dosage for something. Even when I get new meds from my vet, or want to try something different, I go to Joyce's site and read! I also keep all the drug dosages of things I use all the time, or every once in awhile in my book. I have a copy of Goat Medicine and in the front and back blank pages I keep all of my information in it, so everything is in one spot. I even take it to the vet with me. Hope this clears it up some. Vicki

4. Guest

I agree that posting in an emergency on several sites is a good idea. Two or more heads are better than one.
    I like the idea behind Goat911, but I too in an emergency did not get a response for over 2 days and then no phone contact available, so don't count on it. Obviously a good vet is the solution, unfortunatly many of us don't have that luxury. My Vet has no clue about goats, although he will tell you he does.
    The archives here are also a great help in many cases. I have dug thru those for answers and it's a grea resource
    I'm sure we will all be glad to help however we can, it is frustrating when there is a post asking for help, but providing no info to work with, Vicki's list is a great start.

5. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

:D Whew! I had a BAD case of seperation anxiety going! Having had a bad experience myself within the last week, I know for a fact I would have had one less goat without the help of this board and in this case Vicki! I actually had to argue with the vet to give me what I needed (and his partner told me he does goats from time to time?!).

I also now realize (and I should have known better from my experience as a nurse) that you need a lot of info to make a diagnosis or at least offer suggestions as to what might be wrong. The list is a great reference and I will use it from now on! (Including the Temp! :oops: ~ finally had to bring myself to take a goat temp!)

I by no means expect that when I post here that someone will always be available to answer in a timely fashion but, I am truly grateful when they do. The wealth of experience shared here is truly awesome and for nothing in return.

Vicki ~ you did post your phone number but, I really didn't want to call and bother you. I guess if you post it, you meant for it to be used but, I just felt that would be going a bit too far on my part!

So, that said...

:D THANK YOU to each and everyone of you who so generously shares your wealth of information! It means so much!

6. Joel Rosen

Joel Rosen New Member

I said it 3 years ago and I'll say it again...This 911 for goats was/is a great idea and I see it has worked well !!!!

Sorry, just passing thru and making sure all you goat ropers are well and fine. Hope ya'll have a great season !

7. Guest

Joel, so good to see ya stopped in, hope all is well. Take care.

Bernice

8. Guest

Hi Bernice, --Yep, we're just great and 'm starting a goat fence for my wife. I have it fiqured --10 acre fence--1 acre a year--I should be dead 2 years before I get the property fenced.

Virginia misses you !

9. Guest

And I miss Virginia!:):) Gosh, I never thought I would say that but after the turmoil here this past yr I honestly wonder some days. But then again Joel, I believe we are right where we are supposed to be.

Hmmmm......... you'd be too young to die! An acre a yr, and what are ya gonna use for fencing that will take so long??????? But then again, goats are quite the escape artists <VBG> You still haven't gotten the wife a goat yet?????? Joel!!! You take care and I'd bette rlet ya get back to that fence.

Bernie

10. I'm very new to this goat business, however what's been there for me at least twice now (since our local vet is goat illiterate) is Hoegger Supply. They have been very nice and quite helpful, once having to refer me someone else, who was more than nice when someone (me) called from out of nowhere'sville. but then whudda I know!! I'm open to suggestions.. Thanks

Cheryl
    Old Goats Farm
    Turtlepoint, PA

11. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Hi Vicki and Bernice; glad you stopped in to give good advice and chat. I was thinking the other day about you and missed the old Countryside forum with all of us in the same place.

12. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I telephoned a wonderful woman in Florida (no one was listed in Alabama with a phone) today after my first-ever goat baby was born....She was sure nice and answered all my questions. I have since e-mailed her a photo of the mom and new baby and thanked her for her help! the 911 site is wonderful when you can't wait and need an answer right then!

13. daisy05

daisy05 Member

Well Beth we emailed before with a emergency and got a email a few hours after

14. happytailsnick

happytailsnick New Member

Hi,
    And yes, Virginia is very nice! Our little goatland in the Florida panhandle is too! Best of all is that when I'm out in our little goatland, Rebecca is right beside me toiling away and very much helping! Unfortunately hurricanes keep us very busy)!I tell the guys at work that they couldn't hang with her for a weekend at our place! Weather it be trimming hooves, worming, cleaning, fencing or mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow, she's done it all and continues to at 54 yrs of age! She absolutely loves it. When we retire we are to move to a more rural area and she wants to open a shelter for animals.
    peace to you all, b'safe ...2birdz

15. cayenne47

cayenne47 Critter Mama Supporter

:help: 3 WEEK OLD BUCKLING
    HAPPY HEALTHY BOUNCY ALL DAY LONG
    TONITE HE REFUSES HIS BOTTLE

IT HIT 110 HERE TODAY, COULD IT BE THE HEAT? THEY HAVE PLENTY OF SHADE.
    THEY ARE IN A VEGGIE GARDEN AREA..BUT THERES NOTHING THERE THAT IS TOXIC TO GOATS.

NO DIARRHEA. TEMP IS 103 HES NOT HUNCHED
    ATE HIS LUNCH FINE. HE TAKES 1-1/2 C. 3 TIMES A DAY OF KID-LAC
    HES BEEN ON IT SINCE BIRTH
    I GOT 4CC OF PEPTO DOWN HIM...AND MAYBE 2 SWALLOWS OF ELECTROLYTE WATER.

I JUST GOT HIM TO TAKE MAYBE 3 OZ OF ELECTROLYTES.
    SHOULD I JUST WATCH OR DOES ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS?
    IVE LOST 2 BABIES AND I PANIC :help:

16. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

please change to vit d milk. milkreplacer is killing your kids.
    why did you give the pepto? just curious

17. sixstrothers

sixstrothers Hallelujah Dairy

Use regular cow milk, if you are using replacer. Also, is he pooping? I have a 3 week old and when he wont take his bottle he is usually constipated. I give about 12 cc (2 6cc syringes full) of warm soapy water and that seems to help. As long as he is eating hay or grass, I wouldnt worry too much. Remember, pepto is for diarrhea.....and I guess maybe you thought upset stomach? Let us know how he is doing.
    Lori

18. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

MILK REPLACER SUCKS--sorry for my language, but I got two lamancha does and it almost KILLED them!

I was told to take off of Replacer for 24 hrs until scours cleared up then start this recipe...Milk feeds the bacteria.

Someone on here gave me a wonderful recipe

1 gallon whole milk (vitamin D) we even got some from a farmer, good thick stuff.

1 can of evaporated milk

1 cup of buttermilk

Mix them up take out 2-3 cups before mixing them into the gallon of milk

We also gave them a bit of Vitamin B Complex in liquid form into the bottle &
    Probios--I also gave them Goat Drench. Within hours we saw HUGE
    improvements!

Also I found Kayopectate and Pro Bios together work wonders, Pepto didnt do a thing for my kids.

April

19. cayenne47

cayenne47 Critter Mama Supporter

MY 3 month old buckling was not himself this morning, laying around, with distended stomach(.He did eat breakfast... creep feed )
    First i tried baking soda...nothing

Then probios...nothing

Through all of this i am massaging and walking and holding.And BTW, hes not frothing.

I came here and saw try olive oil...so i did....nothing

I even gave the poor little guy an enema...got about 6 berries but thats

better than none.

Tubed Him to see if we could get some of the gas out that way...stinky but nothing. HIs tummy is not AS HARD as it was, but he's still laying down, and crying once in a while. Do i let a couple more hours go by and see if anything works???

His temp is normal...his heartbeat is where the vet said it should be...but im hearing no rumen sounds.Shouldnt it sound like a gurgly belly?

And the only thing he may have even gotten into that he shouldnt have (or had too much of) is fallen apples or plums....but everyone else was into them too.

Ive done everything i know how to do.,.and everything ive seen suggested on here.....what next? Vet and tummy puncture?

20. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

We have a buck that is approx 18 months old. This past weekend he started walking funny. His back legs are really "wobbly" like his hip has gone out or something. There is no swelling that we can see, and it doesn't feel like anything is broken. If you have any suggestions as to what this might be, or what we can do about it, please post. Thanks :eek:)