Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took it twice, it is only 93.1. I have to go back to her. We have moved her into the sauna to warm her up. The vet said there is no use coming out, she'll probably die within an hour or two. He said just keep her comfortable and try to warm her up.

She has been "off" for a few weeks, standing out in the rain. We took her temp last week because we were worried she was sick and it was normal. She seemed fine expect standing out in the rain (she kept her head inside the barn). She's been eating drinking fine. She was bred last week. She is an over conditioned goat, always just been "fat". She is about 1 1/2 years old, never been pregnant. Her only symptoms are listless (we found her in the field laying down and wouldn't get up) and her temperature. It is a warm day, around 55 or 60 degrees outside, so it is not really cold here. She is a LaMancha.

ANY help for her??? The vet didn't think so and said not to start her on any treatment. He said that bringing up her temp wouldn't change what is wrong. I gave her two cups of warm "bounce back".

I will try and check back later. She is with my husband right now and I need to get back. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Unless your thermometer is wrong she is dieing, sorry. You have a non functioning rumen at that temp, so you not only have to warm her up externally but internally and you can't do that without knowing how to IV and doing rumen cud replacement...really lavage.

Now 2 weeks ago, a goat standing in the rain period...her temp was normal because she was normalizing a high temp likely. Now this much later, your asking someone to pull her back from the dead. Once again sorry. Vicki

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless your thermometer is wrong she is dieing, sorry. You have a non functioning rumen at that temp, so you not only have to warm her up externally but internally and you can't do that without knowing how to IV and doing rumen cud replacement...really lavage.

Now 2 weeks ago, a goat standing in the rain period...her temp was normal because she was normalizing a high temp likely. Now this much later, your asking someone to pull her back from the dead. Once again sorry. Vicki
darn it!!!! She was eating and drinking normally. I just thought she might be depressed. I feel so guilty that I might have been able to save her. I love this goat. :Bawling:

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
before you give up, i would get a second thermometer and check again.
if it is correct, i would not prolong her suffering but put her down. sorry.
i hope for you the thermometer is wrong.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
sorry :( it really sucks. at somepoint everyone loses an animal and kicks themselves for the pain of wondering if it could have been prevented. let us know if she somehow pulls out of it. I remember a story (I think on here) of someone who thought they had a dead sheep and they put it on the burnpile for later. it showed up later very much alive. I'm not trying to give false hope but sometimes it helps to have a little. anything now would be a heroic effort with very little chance of recovery. it is your choice of course to end it now or wait and see depending on how much she seems to be suffering.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I don't wish to give you false hopes, but I did have a sheep that at about 1 week of age, suddenly went down and had a very low temp, in the mid 90's I believe. I brought her inside and put her in a warm room and started treatment. She is now 2 years old and very healthy. It was a tough long couple months to get her well. One thing led to another and as soon as we got her over one thing, something else went wrong. I thought on several occassions that she would not make it another hour let along through the night and she just kept fighting. So, no matter how bleak it looks, there is always hope. If you give up, she will give up. I hope it all works out for you. There is always a lesson to be learned when raising livestock, unfortunately sometimes it costs us an animal to learn that lesson, but don't beat yourself up, as long as you learned from the experience and it could save another, you just have to move forward.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The vet is on the way to put her down. She seems to be in some pain. I've given her banamine for comfort.

·
le person
6,241 Posts
Ah, I am so sorry.. :(

The thing with prey animals, they don't show much when they are quite sick, which is why any little red flag should get your full attention. They sometimes just don't seem very sick when they really are.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The vet just left, he felt like we should still give her a shot. His thermometer put her temperature at 95.8 to 95.9 (he said he doesn't like the digital because you can't get them in far enough). He said she was looking around and the sauna had brought her up a little bit. He gave her a b12 shot and b-complex shot. He said her rumen was not working well. Her lungs sounded good, for the most part. I had already given her a probiotic paste around 1pm. He said he'd come see her in the morning and I'm going to call him around 8:30 am. He did not start her on any antibiotics because there is nothing to say she has an infection. He also set my husband to cutting down madrone tree branches and blackberry bushes to see if she'll eat some roughage. I am going to move her out of the sauna and into a calf hut with a heat lamp and straw. He said basically cross your fingers and call me in the morning. It is going to be a long night.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Good way to raise her temp, draw a 'hot' bath, put her up to her neck in a trashbag, and soak her.

I'll be thinking about her.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Good! She has a chance :)!!!
Is there any way you can swipe cud from another healthy goat and give it to her? I think that would really help. It is going to be a long night...make some strong coffee. I'll be praying...what's her name?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts