Goat eating horse tail

Discussion in 'Goats' started by nicagurl, Apr 27, 2005.

1. nicagurl

nicagurl Member

Hi, I'm new.

I have five goats whose stall is next to the horse's stall and I noticed his tail is getting shorter and shorter. I saw Angel chewing on his mane, so I figured it was the goats who was trimming the tail for me. Why are the doing this? And is there anyway to make them quit? right now I braided the hair and rapped the tail like someone would for a show to keep them from eating it. I'm just lost on this!! :no:

Thanks for any information.
    Amy (Nicagurl) Nica is one of my goats! :rolleyes:

2. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

It isn't too uncommon for goats , calves or young horses to chew on tails..Be glad you caught on before the horse didn't have anything below the dock...Not a pleasant surprize..!.It might be you can spray it with pepper type stuff to make it distasteful...Who knows why they do it...!!! GrannieD

3. nicagurl

nicagurl Member

Ok, thanks, I'm glad I caught it to, I had his tail all nice looking and now they chopped it off, everyone is making fun of my horse now.

Are we allowed to post pictures of our animals on here? If so where? I'm knew to the site so just trying to get familiar with it.

Amy

4. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

Your lucky you caught it in time. My horse had a beautiful full length tail in the morning and by afternoon, it has missing on one side. By the next afternoon it was evened out. I was at a loss as to what was happening to my horses tails (I have 5 horses) then I saw one of my goats chewing my Stud's tail. The silly horse was just standing there letting him do it. I think I have broken them of it. I just thumped them on the nose everytime I caught them doing it and told them NO! I have no idea why they do it, but they like hair. My doe comes up to me and acts like she is gonna nuzzle me and she grabs a mouth full of my hair.

5. nicagurl

nicagurl Member

One of my goats, Angel has grabbed my hair. Hurt to!!!! :no: