goat drench and/or selenium -e gel

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mpillow, Jan 30, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I have purchased both goat drench (8oz pump) and selenium-e gel from PBS livestock supply. Also probios gel.

Upon reading the labels I noticed that both contain Sodium selenite and vit e of differing levels.

My question is can you use both products at the same time as the drench contains other vit. and minerals that might help balance and aid absorption of the supplements or am I risking overdose on vit. e and selenium?

My herd is showing signs of defiency and will kid the end of April. I am hoping to boost/ balance this out prior to kidding as well as in kids as they are born.

Dosage suggestions and dosing schedule as well. Every 5 weeks? For how long? Following dosage on bottle?

Thanks in advance! FYI we are northeastern Kennebec County in Maine around .2 or .3 on the selenium map I think.

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The folks who make goat nutri-drench hate me :) But...it is nothing but cheap propolyn glycol (which for what you paid for the nutri-drench you could get a gallon of propolyn glycol) and a mineral mix. Take the E in that nutri-drench, it would take 1 ounce, 30 cc given to a newborn at birth to give it enough E that it needs 300 IU. You could get a bottle of capsules at wallmart, snip the end and squish it in the mouth and cost you about $3 for 500! There is likely little to no selenium in it, certainly not enough to bolster your goats.

Havent' a clue as to how much to use of the paste, I use Bo-se injectable because it has a dose I know. Vicki

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Last time I buy the drench then.....

The selenium -e gel has a guarantee analysis per 5 ml

Vit.e 500iu
    selenium 3mg

the feeding directions are 5 ml for sheep&goats, calves, cows and a little less for horses and says that when fed at maximum recommended levels, it will supply 3mg of selenium per head per day. And it cautions to use it as the sole source of selenium.

Do I give my girls each 5ml at 5 week intervals starting at 5weeks before kidding and then again at kidding and 1ml to the kids at birth? Do I wait to give the kids anymore until breeding season(eventhough they wont be bred first year) because the adult does will be getting another dose prior to breeding?

I apologize for my ignorance...just wanting to get it right!