Goat Down In rearend

Discussion in 'Goats' started by oberhaslikid, Dec 30, 2005.

1. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a nubian doe (1 1/2yold)that is bred to kid in the first of March.I noticed her walking funny and watched her,the next week she was holding a rear foot that I had trimmed 2 months ago.I checked her out and couldnt find anything so I started to soak the foot and clean with peroxide and use hoof & heal.The other night I went to throw in some hay someone bumped her and she went down and struggled to get up I went in to see what was the matter and brought her in to my milk room ,and that is where she has been.Last night I gave her BoSe shot and tonight I gave her CDT.(I knew this would come back and bite me in the butt)I just posted on another thread I didnt vaccinate anymore.Any one have suggestions on what this may be?She is eating and drinking fine and I saw her go poop and pee.There is no fever.they have out minerals and soda.I bought new ,better meatmaker minerals.higher in copper 2 days ago.They are getting alfalfa pellets,soaked alfalfa cubes,mixed hay and small amounts of grain.I just started the grain 2 weeks ago and they dont get it but every other day when we had some cold weather.I have been giving Mana pro pellets a 1/2cup to each girl every other day.

2. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

Likely when she got bumped she got a back injury.

If you are going to feed, feed everyday. Feeding every other day does the does no good you can't make up for the days that you miss by giving more feed.
    Also Calf Manna in pregnant does causes edema (water retention) and can cause problems in late pegnancy. I would wait until the does freshen and then give them calf manna but not in huge amounts only about 1/4cup per doe per day.

3. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

I am thinking deer worm. They go down int he back end. I would agressivly worm her with Ivemic.
    Search the net for Megaling<SP?> worm
    or deer worm see what you can find.
    but I have read on a list lately someone
    with a doe that started them same way you are
    explaining and had deer worm. You need to act fast.

Liz

4. oberhaslikid

OMG that has to be it! I have beat my head against the wall at work today.Trying to go over site after site to find something that sounds familiar.Liz God bless you,I went to the barn and wormed her now ,I need prayers.The Deer are bad here they cross my pasture to enter the propery on both sides of me.They are so tame that they come within 25 feet of my barn when I feed in the A.M. or P.M. She was last wormed in July and I was gonna worm after she kids.but I went ahead and wormed her with Ivermectin.I just got a new bottle.

5. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

I will try to find info. for you. As I think you may need to worm daily to keep her alive. I would gove the fortified B-complex also. and nutri-drench could not hurt. We will pray she keeps her kids.
    Glad I could help.
    I can think clear when It is someone else goat- when it is mine I hit a brain block...
    Liz

6. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

!. What part of Ohio are you in?

2. If it is deer worm, and it sounds very much like it could be, you need more treatment than just plain worming. Get that goat to the vet.

They can be saved, but once they get the full "John Wayne walk" and can get knocked off their feet easily, you need aggressive treatment. Call your vet.

Lynda

7. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Isn't Vit. B recommended for menegial worm issues?

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

vit.b complex, is recomended for all goats, they need it. and you don't have to worry about over dose, they pee way what they don't use. I would dose her good with it, get a vet now!!!!!!!!!and give ivermic .

9. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

If you're saying you have tons of deer who come up that close to your goats, yes, you could very well have meningeal worms. I have a friend who went through this with her llamas - not a pleasant experience and they debilitate. I can't remember the dose and for how long but Ivermec is called for here - IF this is the diagnosis. I wish I could pasture my goats in my back fields but that's where the white-tail deer roam and I won't take that chance. Best of luck to you and keep us posted!

10. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

You don't need to have deer on your land to have deer worm. The parasite is transferred to goats by slugs who get it from deer poop. If deer run your fence line, odds are the slugs are on your land.

Peak time for infection is moist mild slug weather. Info on time from infection of a goat to presentation of symptoms is really mixed - some studies were done with intentionally inducing the disease but they give no info about how long a goat can carry the parasite before it starts to show symptoms.

One more comment for the original poster. This isn't like normal worms. This is a parasite that kills, causing nerve and brain damage as the disease progresses. Our neighbor had one that started as stiffness and paralysis, but had the brain signs before it had to be put down. Cookie was a sweet goat, but she really went strange as the brain damage set in. She got a lot more grumpy and extra protective of her daughter. It was weird - she just wasn't at all nice any more.

This absolutely isn't a disease to treat without a vet's help - at least not until you've seen enough cases to know what you are doing.

Lynda

11. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm wondering if this is the problem my friend is having with some of her Boer goats who have had access to a certain pasture. I've never seen deer in their space, but the goats who go there are the ones with the heavy worm load. She has a beautiful Boer doe who had bottle jaw really bad and went down. This goat is eating and drinking, but can't seem to get back up. She has put the doe in a corral and dosed her with Ivomec and Valbazen. The bottle jaw is gone, but the doe is still not standing. She didn't think the vet could do any more for the goat than she is doing. She also gives Nutri drench and B complex. Does anyone know what other meds the vets treat with for deer worms? We have mainly cow vets around here, but the one we work with is always open to suggestion.

12. oberhaslikid

Iam sorry I didnt get back ,my husband and I both have the flu.We are taking turns feeding.She is getting up and down on her own which is an improvement but doesnt stay up but a few minutes.The vet is closed for the holiday weekend.I am gonna try get her in on Monday.Iam on my own for now.The reason I said that must be it is because in some one elses account they mentioned the goat looked as if they had ring worm.This doe of mine had a spot on her shoulder that was the size of my fist. The hair was rubbed off then it started to trail down her side about 10 inches and made a J looking trail.I bought foot spray to treat it as wringworm.Then she was holding her foot as if her foot was hurting her and I treated her feet.She never got a John Wayne walk.Her leggs just got rubbery.Couldnt hold her weight for long.Iam giving her Ivermectin and Vitmin B till I get to the vet.

13. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Probiotics (yogurt) and some iron (pig paste which is also a probiotic) will help her build her strength.
    I use horse ivermectin paste at twice the dose...given day1 and day10 and possible a 3rd dose at day21 if still debilitated.....granted this is hard on their system but given in combination with pig paste it has been effective for me...

There is also a horse product called Ascend..the skin and coat version is high in copper and other minerals that I give Spring and Fall as a boost for my girls after freshening and just before breeding.

14. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I just wanted to tell you that i will be praying for your doe, and for you. By the way, with the slugs, would it possibly work to put salt all over your place, not very thick, and then just keep it on the fenceline afterwards? I am talking about people that do not have deer ON their property, but around it, just a brain storm. Well Good Luck, bye.