Goat Door?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by noname, Dec 31, 2004.

1. noname

noname Well-Known Member

I have 3 pygmy goats that are taking up a badly needed stall in my barn. I want to put another smaller shelter out behind the barn for them - I'm thinking one of those small barns meant for storage. I want to give them the ability to go in and out as desired, but don't want to just prop the door open and let all the snow blow in! If I cut a small opening and put a flap over it, would they use it or be afraid of it? This might be a silly question, but I've never owned goats before.

Thanks.

2. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know about your goats, but mine would wade through Hades just to get to a handfull of feed. I would suggest that you put in the flap and then put feed on the inside of the pen. I'd bet that they would go right through it. Once they have been through it they will understand how it works and never be afraid.

3. Our herd has indoor /outdoor access year round. We have a small garage door that is pushed up to 4 foot high. I took a sheet of plywood reinforcing it at the top and bottom with 2 x 6's, and cut a hole out big enough for the large, pregnant does to come into one at a time. I screwed this to the wooden frame on each side of the garage door and then rested the garage door back down snuggly against the plywood. I then took a smaller piece of plywood and attached it firmly at a 90 degree angle to the first sheet right beside the opening I made. Then I took a third piece and attached it at another 90 degree angle to the second piece of plywood. Last I put a top on this so that snow couldn't just fall and fill up the area. This allows my herd indoor/outdoor access but blocks the wind (if you face it right) from coming in the barn and also the snow. My herd loves it. They like to look out and see what the weather is doing before decided if they want to go out.

Marla

4. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

I have 2 Pygmys and 1 Boer. I have a door cut out for them that is 4 ft. tall and 2 ft. wide. I line my walls in the building with Geo-Textile Fabric and I had some left over so I cut out 2 peices that would just cover the door and nailed them one on the inside and one on the outside. This does great for keeping out drafts and rain/snow. When I first put the fabric up I gathered my goats in the building and left them. They where kind of eary of it at first, but with in a few minutes they was sticking their heads through and before long (about 30 min.) they where running in and out. The fabric is resonable on price to. I use it every winter. On a 19 degree day outside it is usually in the 30's inside the building and there is no lights or any other source of heat besides body heat and thick hay.
    Tina