Goat Dont Eat Grain/corn

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cojax, Oct 31, 2005.

1. cojax

cojax Member

Have A Goat About 4 Months Old That Does Not Eat Grain/corn But Does Seem To Be Doing Fine Other Than That. Her Twin Is Like The Rest Of Them And Cant Seem To Get Her Fill. Is This Normal? Concerned Because The Feed Is Medicated To Fight Against Cocciodis Which Has Been A Issue In Our Area

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Is she gaining as well as the others?

Is there something she will eat....like bread? I would hide some grain in the bread to get her to eat some of the grain(maybe a smidge of peanut butter). Maybe some b-complex to stimulate her appetite and probiotics to insure Rumen health/digestion efficiency

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Have you checked her mouth to see if she could have a cleft pallet or possibly something wrong with her teeth? They resist this procedure so a helping hand might be in order to hold her between their knees and help hold her mouth open so you can examine things in there. Has she been bullied off of the feed? If she is the timid one she may rather just do without than have a confrontation. Have you tried feeding her by herself?

4. squeezinby

squeezinby Well-Known Member

The guy I got her from said it was ok to take her home. Even though she is not completely weaned. She has been eating grass and hayand drinking water. Should I try bottle feeding as a suppliment to her deit? I know they like veggies, but can I feed her Orange rinds?
    Thanks,
    Mrs. Verellen

5. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

Does the goat eat hay. Hay is a goats main feed and grain is just a treat. You may want to try a pellet feed, I feed my babies a meat grower that has Amonia Chloride and Meds. for cocci prevention. They love it.

Liz
    Teacup Farm

6. squeezinby

Thanks....But can I feed her the Orange rinds. Yes she is eating hay.

7. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i would not feed her orange rind since they are always treated with wax and pesticide.
    good quality hay and a little bit grain. loose mineral 24/7 and fresh water all the time should be enough for her.
    unfortunately a lot of people think a goat can eat every thing. they are not a compost bin.

8. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

If she likes hay you could try alfalfa for some extra protein.

9. squeezinby

I'm sorry if I confused some people, I guess i was butting in on this tread.
    I'm sorry. I do thank everyone for all the great info.
    Mrs. Verellen

10. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

I found with my goats that they like and dislike a lot of different things, as long as yours is eating, gaining weight and growing normally, feed what ever it likes best. Introduce grain in very small amounts over time till they get used to it. happy goating! =)