Goat Died

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tome, May 3, 2005.

1. tome

tome Active Member

I had a three month old male boer goat to die the other day, was wondering if anyone has any idea as to what may have been wrong with him? There was no signs of illness, when I counted my goats at the end of the day one was missing, I went looking and found him dead with no visible signs of predators. Any clue as to what may have caused it?

2. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

He could have had urinary calculi. I lost a 4 month old wether to it because I didn't understand the vet MEANT what he said about the necessity of Ammonium Cloride in the feed. I believe him now and my boys all get it. I had mine put to sleep rather than opting for the 500.00 ,to start, operation. Only to find out later I may have been able to help him myself with drenching and other things. I understand that even intact males can get urinary calculi because of the shape of their urethra

3. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with our Alpine Buck. The vet said the surgery was only $100, so we opted for it. After the surgery, we had the same problem, took him back and the vet called and said the 2nd surgery didn't work and he would need to put him down. We said ok and that was that. A few days later the vet phoned and said he looked into those big intelligent loving eyes and could not put him down. He did yet another surgery (got a bit radical) and saved him. He was doing fine, but would keep him a few days longer just to make sure. My total bill for all surgeries was $118. I got a great vet, cares more for the animals than the $$$$

I now give all my males ammonium chloride and have found that most of the people in our area raising goats had no idea about it and I have been preaching it all around. If you have males you have to give them the AC....or else you will find them dead or worse, witness their pain and it is painful to them.

Drenching only works if you catch it in the very early stages. Otherwise, their bladder burst and they die anyway.

4. Kimi

Kimi Active Member

tome, I'm sorry for your loss. Sometimes the worst part is not knowing why.

So where do you buy the AC and what form does in come in?
    When do you start giving it to them and how often and dosage? I want to know before I get ever get my buck.

5. tome

tome Active Member

My young males and females run together, can you give the ammonium chloride to the females also? Thanks guys for the info, you are the best.

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

To lessen the chances of UC feed very small amounts of grain to bucks....give them more hay.
    Jeffers sells a mineral bucket for $20 that contains ammonium chloride...I believe it is safe for both sexes

7. JoyKelley

I get it in the feed. One place carries Medicated sheep and goat feed with AC in it and the other stuff I get is Dumore goat feed ( look at the tag to be sure it has AC in it.) I called Dumore and the scientist / nutritionalist I spoke to said tht the Dumor has a high enough percentage but it is only half the issue. I have to make sure at all times that they have PRISTINE water to drink. He said a goat will drink water that isn't pristine to live but will only drink really really clean water in enough quantity to keep the calculi down.

Starsmom, the part that was so bad is that i did catch it early, really early and still the vet didn't give me any options,(and I didn't know enough to ask you all ) He said either the $$$ operation or kill him, even then the whole thing cost 200.00. 100.00 for the ultra sound ( and that machine was obviously not working right) and 100.00 to kill him. I would go to another vet if there was one but it is really bad here with no vets to work on goats or hogs, this one is 30 miles away. The first time he came out he charged me 100.00 for asking questions , no lie.

8. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

I would love to know the dosage to put in water, for drenching and where can you get it!! Thanks!!

9. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I buy mine through Hoeggers Goat Supply. It costs about $2.55 for 2 lbs. You put in 2 lbs with 25 Lbs of minerals. I prefer to feed mine directly. I give about 3/4 tsp 2x week. I put it in their grain and they eat it right up. When you give it to them, make sure they have plenty and I mean plenty of water as they will be thirsty. You can give it to the does as well, doesn't hurt, but isn't necessary.

I give it to the bucklings as soon as they start eating hay or grain (around 2 weeks). I just put it in their bottles.

You can also mix it in with their water. The only thing about that is you waste alot and you don't know how much each goat is getting.

Purina has it in the chow, but only the SHOW CHOW. My goats didn't care for the show chow, so I got the AC straight.

10. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I use it the water bucket because I don't feed grain. I use 2 tablespoons per 2 1/2 gallons of water.

11. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi tome;
    Sorry about your goat.

JoyKelly;
    Thanks for the post about urinary calculi. I've been wanting to get some goats for awhile. It would be so disheartening to get a few and have one die without knowing what was happening.
    I appreciate the info about adding the Ammonium Chloride to the water or feed.
    Is the development of urinary calculi found in all breeds of goats? Are any breeds less susceptable? Is it purely due to a random anatomical variation or does it have a genetic component?
    Thanks!
    tamilee

12. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

The urinary calculi is a concern and they should be getting ammonium chloride either in their feed or otherwise. The reason for his death for sure wouldn't be known without a necropsy. It could have been a number of things, cocci being one of them. Are your kids on any kind of cocci prevention? Grass tetany. Was he bloated at all? Could have been something as simple as getting butted by another goat. I'm sorry for your loss.

13. JoyKelley

It isn't random, I understand all males have the "crick in the tube ", in neutered males the tube doesn't grow properly and causes an added problem but all males are succeptable due to the L shape of their "tubing"

By the way if your paying really close attention you will know what is happening, they squat and squat and nothing comes out, LIke I said I caught it early so I don't know nor want to know what comes after that

14. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

I looked on the feed tag(Purina Meat Goat) and it has AC in it. Is the amount in the feed enough, or should I supplement AC in another way too? Also, can they get too much and OD? :confused:

15. JoyKelley

burfer, call the feed company, the number should be on the tag, they will let you talk to their nutritionalist , ask them if it is proper amounts to prevent calculi

16. BucksCtyCowgirl

BucksCtyCowgirl Member

I'm REALLY sorry. I had my kids die inside their mama. I didn't even know them,yet I cried my heart out. I can't imagine how you must feel! Sorry,but I don't know what he might have died of.

17. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Could have been snakebite. I lost a kid that way one year. Just found it deader than a doornail out in the pasture. Had to look really hard, but found the bitemarks....Diane