Goat coughing?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Snomama, May 25, 2005.

1. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

I have a goat that is coughing, not all the time, but every once in awhile she coughs???? Doesn't seem sick otherwise.

What do I need to do????

I also have a goat that is lethargic, with no apparent other symptoms. No runny eyes, nose, no diarrehea. What do I look for????

Thanks for your help. This isi our second year with goats, none of them have been sick before, did have a few sheep with pink eye. So, I just am at a loss since there doesn't seem to be any symptoms???

Melissa

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

When's the last time you wormed them?

A dry cough (almost sounds like a bark) with no other symptoms - no fever, nasal discharge, or other signs of being sick - is usually lung worms.

With your goat that's lethargic - check her gums. They should be a nice pink color. My guess is she's also carrying a high worm load, pale gums would confirm that guess.

You might take a fecel sample into your vet and have them check to see exactly what parasites you're dealing with. Different wormers target different species.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I should add, if you don't have a vet around who knows beans about goats....

Dose all of the goats with Ivomec or Cydectin. Dose them again with the same medication in 10 days, and then a third dose in another 10 days. That should get the worm load down to very manageable levels.

Give them good solid slugs of probios while you're worming them so as the parasites are removed their place is being filled by beneficial bacteria.

The lethargic doe - you can get Red Cell at the feed store (look in the cattle section). It'll help boost her iron levels. A vitamin B complex shot would also be a good idea.

4. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I would not use the Cydectin for lungworms...It really isnt best for that, I have in the past with no results and the ivomec was so, so much better...
    I do like the cydectin for other paracites but ivomec has worked best for the lungworms with us. and of course, that is just my opinion...

Belinda