Goat concern

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatkid, Jan 1, 2006.

1. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I leased one of my bucks to a woman to use on her does. She got the does from me so I was not concerned about doing this. Today, she called me to let me know that he is doing well, but that she wants to keep him a bit longer because one of her does has come back into heat. In the course of our conversation, she mentioned that her new farm was used as a sheep shearing operation over 20 years ago. Now I feel some concern because I know sheep can carry CL. She says the goat barn was built after the sheep were gone. I have no way of knowing if any of the sheep there were ill. It has been a long time since sheep were there, but I do what I can to maintain a clean herd and don't want to risk my goats. If he were your goat, would you let him come home?

2. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

If you tested him, how long would the results take? Depends how good he is I spose as to whether you needed him back or if she was prepared to buy him. I wouldnt leave him there not knowing if he would test positive though. :)

3. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

First off, have her goats been CAE tested? Has yours? Secondly, if your buck has been there a while already it probably wouldn't hurt for him to be there a bit longer. Third, since the sheep operation is 20 years ago, I'd probably feel pretty safe on that issue. In the future though, you might want to see CAE results before leasing out bucks. And of course, make sure no abcesses or chance of CL lurking around!