goat circles her head?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Donna, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Donna

Donna TrailRider

Got to ask this question as I have 6 goats and only have one that looks up and does a half circle with her head as she looks like she is watching a bird go by or something,is this a normal thing?

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Our doe Jazelle does this as do both her duaghters. We think it's pretty funny personally :haha:

3. PCishere

PCishere Guest

I laugh when this happens in the goat barn...goats are just curious animals and I think that when you get them to look up (which probably is something that they don't do that often) they get caught up in the moment and are suprised by the ceiling.

4. Donna

Donna TrailRider

Thanks,I was hoping nothing was wrong with her! We laugh at her as it does look pretty funny.

5. Galloping Goats

Galloping Goats Active Member

I was told it's a Nubian thing........... They just do it cause they're goats :D

6. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

I think I know what you're talking about... I have Nubians from time to time do this while standing on the wall with their front feet. Looks odd but nothing wrong with them. I think they just like to flop their ears around.

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My children say that our Nubian doeling does this as if a to say "I am so beautiful with these long ears!" like a woman throwing her long hair back.

Do your ears hang low?
    Can you tie them in a knot?
    Can you tie them in a bow?

8. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

One of my Oberhasli did that. And I have a Boer X that does it too. They're just being silly. I also had a dog that would bark at clouds and chase flying birds and airplanes. Silly things...

9. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I sure am glad to see this post!! I just ran in from the barn, freaked out because I never saw any of my goats do this before now!! My little wether just did it three times, stretched his head back, did a half roll, and acted like nothing was wrong. Scared the heck out of me, though!

10. MarkSykes

MarkSykes Well-Known Member

My Nubian doe does that. I thought she was a bit whacked in the head. I have two La Manchas and a Nubian doeling and wether and they don't do that. Only Jewels...

11. mamasaanan

mamasaanan Well-Known Member

I'll bet your goats have been disbudded! Goats with horns use the rotating head thing to scratch their backs with the horns. Disbudded goats do it by instinct. It's kinda funny, but when I see my girls doing it, I always give them a courtsey scratch.