Goat Cheese

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Oct 25, 2004.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Have a question for you goat product experts. Does goat cheese always taste like crap? Actually, I mean does it taste like a goat buck smells? OMG, my dad "suprised" me and brought me a little palm sized package of goat cheese that was flavored with parmeson and oregano and was made here in Wisconsin, so I cut a piece for supper, A small piece fell off, so I popped it in my mouth, didn't like the seasoning flavor at all, but the after taste was the closest I've ever come to vomiting after eating something. It was absolutly horrid. My mouth and eyes felt like I just licked a smelly old buck during rut.

Is this what it really tastes like, or is this why people don't like goat cheese as when handled poorly, it comes out like this. Ewww, nasty.

Jenny

2. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

We make Feta and the Chevre out of our fresh milk all the time and love it. I bought some feta from a local lady ( just to compare) the other day and hers was good too. However I bought some from a Goat Dairy that I seen on the internet and some of it was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Like you said you could almost smell goat when you opened the package up. A lot of it depends on how well they take care of there milk. The cheese that was bought in March that was so Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, I told my wife was just like a buck smell. I'd say they let there buck run with the does during breeding season and that smell was getting into the milk. I put my buck in with them but when I know there all bred I pull him. Just like my little girl said this morning when she dubbed my buck " Stinky Regal" she's only three.

3. dbarjacres

Okay, so this must have been some baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad cheese! I hope to try some GOOD cheese some day, but honestly would be too scared to buy any. Can goat milk be made into cheese like Cheddar or Colby, or is it always a softer cheese?

4. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

You can make some wonderful cheeses with goat milk. I too purchased a small log of goat cheese from the grocery store and it was rutting buck nasty tasting too. YUK :rolleyes: I don't know how these people make any money selling nasty stuff like that. Get you a small book called Goats Produce Too. I got mine off of ebay. Amazon.com may have it or half.com There is really easy good recipes in there. Or try this....
    Take one gallon of milk put it in a stainless steel pot and set it on the stove and bring the temperature of the milk to 175 . Pour in 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and stir. Remove from heat. It will separate into curds and whey. Pour the whey off and strain your curds up in cheese cloth. Hang it up to dry overnight. The next day mix some salt (about 1/2 teaspoon) in with it work it around and press it down in a tupperware dish. Good simple cheese, real mild cheese.

Try this link.
    http://search.ebay.com/Goats-Produce-Too_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40

5. boren

boren Well-Known Member

The types of cheese I have aging in my cheese seller at this time are:

1. Cheddar
    2. Gouda
    3. Monteray Jack
    4. Havarti
    5. Provolone
    6. Colby
    7. Parmasen
    8. Gruyere

All are made with goat milk. I have feta of course in the fridge, but to make that stronger more I add lipase, maybe I just need a different recipe.

I haven't tried any mold ripened cheese since my cheese "seller" (aka dorm fridge) isn't bid enough to hold a box to let them ripen in higher humidity.

The chevre I make at home doesn't have a goaty taste, it's mild and has a flavour all of it's own.

I have given samples of the cheese to people I work with and almost everyone likes it. One guy said "oh, wow, you certainly know that's goat cheese" when trying a mild cheddar got strange looks from everyone in the office. Everyone else gave good compliments and asked for more.

6. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I too have bought goat cheese from the supermarket and can't beleive people eat it. I make fresh goat cheese all the time it NEVER tastes bad. Contrary to popular belief, I have my two bucks in with the 30 girls all the time. I don't get any bucky flavor. I never make cheese out of old milk. I think perhaps that is the problem. One more thought on the buck theory, I was at an other farm where they had the poor old buck in a seperate pen. The does were obviously in heat and he was a wreck. He had sprayed so much urine on his face all his hair had fallen out. The does were no less content. They bellow and fought , maybe not being able to breed contributes to the overwhelming taste.
    Steff

7. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Jenny:

I'm with you on this one... most goat cheese I cannot stand! It is just like licking a buck! That is how I described it to a friend at the ADGA wine and cheese event at the national show a couple years ago. Ewwwww. She on the other hand was enjoying the assortment of cheeses, from various goat cheese vendors.

I can tolerate very fresh goat milk cheese that I have made but even then I can still taste the aroma in it but can tolerate it for about 2 days and then I cannot eat it. DH can stand it for like a week.

Perhaps its an acquired taste LOL.

Trisha-MN

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

It's not an acquired taste, unless we're talking about the cheese acquiring the taste! :haha: If you buy goat milk in the store, it tastes disgustingly bucky. If you buy goat cheese at the store, it too tastes disgustingly bucky. I understand that the bucky taste develops when goat milk, which is far more fragile than cows' milk, gets pasteurized or is handled poorly or comes from animals whose health is slightly off. The French typically use goat cheese made with raw milk. They must be laughing their rear ends off thinking of us stupid Americans gobbling down that nasty, bucky, pasteurized milk cheese. Blech!!!

I've made Chevre and Feta, and my goat cheese has NO goaty flavor. I just took a batch of Chevre to the office and everyone loved it, especially those who "hate goat cheese." Unless you can get good, fresh, clean goat milk with NO goaty flavor, you will not be able to make good, fresh, clean goat cheese with no goaty flavor. Whatever is in the milk is concentrated in the cheese.

9. Trisha-MN

I have tried homemade goat cheese made different people and it all tastes goaty... I have one friend who makes wonderful goat cheese, Feta, Mozzarella, Cheddar etc. To me they all still have a goat taste too them. Guess its just me.

10. boren

boren Well-Known Member

Then you are doing something wrong Thrisha, or it's psychological.

Cheese made from fresh milk handled in a proper way won't have any bad goaty flavor to it. If it does you're doing something wrong in either the initial handling or in the cheese making process. Perhaps it's not being cooled properly (to <40f within 1 hour) or the culture you're using isn't working well, or your not steralizing your equipment properly.

None of my cheese have a goaty flavor. They have a different taste than velvetta mind you, and that's a good thing.

11. Trisha-MN

*Sigh* I give up. I really don't think its that we're doing anything wrong. Other people who try our goat milk and cheese products cannot taste the goat. I can. I don't think its psychological but perhpas it is. Perhaps my taster is just just overly sensitive to capriotic acid.

I'm tired of trying to explain how I can taste and even smell that faint (and sometimes not so faint) goat odor in goat products - everyone else just must be different LOL or guess I'm the odd duck out on this one.

I'll quit trying to explain it and just sit by and read the responses to goat milk flavors from now on.

12. dbarjacres

I know I can smell things VERY well, as my husband claims I'm nuts half the time, but I'm not making it up, really!

This awful cheese is only the second goat product I've tasted (well, soap in the shower accidently, and that wasn't good either haha), I tasted milk this summer when me being the odd ball I am, chase my fainter doe that had kids till she fell over, put her up on top of one of the "spindle" toys, milked her into a little stainless bucket I bought in hopes of getting a milk goat, got about an ounce, took it in to the freezer, and drank it after about 5 minutes. Tasted like milk. Hmmm... I've also tried horse and donkey milk. That was just milked into my hand and sampled. They taste like sugary skim milk. :eek:

13. boren

boren Well-Known Member

Do you taste the goaty flavour it in the milk as well? If you do the cheese will basically amplify that taste as well.

Oh well, each to their own. The does like it so much, maybe humans can learn to like it too? :haha:

14. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

One thing I really cannot tolerate is that "goaty" or "bucky" taste in goats milk or cheese. Even in the salad dressings or other products. Laura basically echoed what I have always said about goats milk, its fragile and you must take care in proccessing it. I can say this about the off taste, if it is made commerically, as in mass produced, then definately in the processing there are factors involved that are unavoidable that cause the off taste. Its true raw milk products taste better and that is because in the pasturization process some of the bacteria needed is killed off plus the content of the fat globules change as well. I have an article someplace explaining that process and chemical reasoning. Making cheese is like a chemistry experiment every time, each batch comes out differently.

If the milk is carefully handled and good sanitary practices are in place, then homemade products generally tend to turn out tasting good, no off taste. I experimented until I learned how to make a soft chevere that doesn't taste like a buck. I haven't successfully made hard cheeses yet, working on it. I would be embarrassed to offer anyone my cheese or fudge or even milk if it tasted bad, thats also bad business sense as well. I think that when the bucky or goaty goats milk products are sold to the public it gives us all a black eye. How can you possibly blame someone for not wanting to try products made from goats milk?

Bernice

15. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Trisha, are you much of a milk and cheese person? I know that I am not. I rarely drink milk, let alone eat cheese, I just don't have the taste for it. It becomes even more necessary for me to have others taste my milk and give free samples of my cheese. Goaters ( on this and the other list ) has a much better pallete than I do, so I recently gave her some of my cheedar that to me had a twang to it. She told me it as wonderful. I have tasted goaty cheese, and this was not what I was tasting. It's like my girl friends Togg milk, it is simply stronger tasting in my mouth than my Nubian milk, it also makes stronger tasting cheese (it is supposed to be that way they where bred for that reason).

Be it in the persons mind or in their mouth, I think some of the idea of "I am drinking milk from a goat" does come into play with some people. But having one of those noses myself (I even smell clothes before I put them on, and a towel on the rack before I use it after showering) and one of those picky palletes (the reason I cook) I understand Trisha's post exactly.

Most cheese you find in the supermarket are sadly not made by folks who own and milk goats, but by folks who purchase milk for resale, having no control over the milk product themselves, their products are nasty.

I have several times thought about taking some of my cheese, especially my chevre to a very well known cheesemaker (a million dollar facility) right in my town, having him taste it compared to his. We have wondered if perhaps he thinks (his cheese) is what goats cheese is supposed to taste like. I do know where his milk comes from, and his milk practices leave alot to be desired, add our Texas heat and humidity into the mix, and you have the reason why his cheese is how it is. Vicki

16. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

Hate to brag, but my cheese is the kind of cheese you can take to parties and people RAVE over - even the snobby, citified types and the people who proclaim that they've tasted goat cheese and hated it enjoy my cheese (-:

I think a LOT of it has to do with the kind of goats they have. I'm telling ya, Toggs generally (READ: generally; not all) have nasty tasting milk IMHO. Swiss milk and lamanchas can be kind of off IMHO also. I have nubians and I guess I am partial. I have tried milk from other breeds and have also had impartial people (former customers) try milk from other breeds, and hands down I believe Nubian milk is the best there is. At least from my girls. Rich (about 4.5 to 5 percent butterfat average test) and SWEET.

BTW, you should try my cheesecake. Best thing you'll ever put in your mouth <grin>.

Now I hate to say this, but when I was at the convention last year, I ate some cheese I thought was nasty. Most of it was the hard cheeses. I have had hard cheeses made from goat milk in the past that was excellent, but I think aged, hard cheese can be very tricky.

17. seahealth

seahealth Well-Known Member

After reading through this thread, I was just about to ask the question - which breed of goat gives the best tasting milk and cheese - and it looks like you may have answered the question - anyone else have any input to that?

18. dlindley

dlindley New Member

Interesting thread. I wonder if those who think the goat cheese "tastes like crap" just don't like that style cheese, regardless of what kind of milk was used. I mean, if you don't like pungent cheese, you're not going to like pungent cheese whether it's from goats, cows, sheep or yaks.

I've had some fantastic chevres (in France and here in the U.S. and Canada) and I've had some mediocre, but nothing I would describe as "crap." My eight-year-old loves the chevre we make and buy, but won't eat St. Maure or other aged cheeses, and describes them as "bucky." But he just doesn't like strong cheese.

(If you want a real treat, try some Coach Farms Triple Cream or Cypress Grove's Humboldt Fog. The only thing "crappy" about these cheeses is the price, well over $20 a pound. But, a little goes a long way.)

As far as goat milk, I don't have a lot of experience with other breeds (we have saanens), but I have to believe the taste has lots more to do with sanitation, and milking and cooling procedures that with the breed.

Also, the time in their lactation seems to make a difference. Our milk tastes great for the first 100 or so days, then the taste drops off in the middle (usually late August to mid-September), and then tastes great again for the rest of the 305 period.

-- David

19. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

First off, there's an awful lot of goat cheese out there in many, many different "styles," that isn't "pungent" at all. So not liking goat cheese is not the same thing as not liking pungent cheese. The "goat cheese = pungent" misconception comes from the fact that most commercially available goat cheese is indeed pungent. Most people who hate goat cheese have only tasted commercial goat cheese and simply don't care for the olfactory sensation of licking a buck in rut. Go figure. Give them some fresh, creamy chevre, flavorful feta or well-made, nutty goat cheddar and they're in love.

IMHO, the hands-down winner on delicious milk is the Nigerian Dwarf. But then, I really like rich milk and they produce what's pretty close to half and half for butterfat. I haven't tried any Nubian milk I've been happy with, but my experience there is extremely limited. I have had absolutely delicious chevre from Nubians. I'm currently milking Mini-Manchas and am very pleased with the flavor and richness of their milk (as well as quantity, lactation length, ease of milking, etc., etc.). I just got 2.5 lbs of wonderful chevre from a gallon of milk. Now that's rich!!! My first dairy goat was an Oberhasli - good flavor but rather low on butterfat. This spring I'll find out whether the infusion of Nigerian blood in the Mini-Oberhasli brings the richness of the milk to where I like it. My Lamanchas had very good milk, richer than the Oberhasli, but not as rich as Nigerian. So there you have my fresh goat milk experience in a nutshell. Have fun with whatever breed you decide on!

20. dbarjacres

I have to admit, I don't know what kind of cheeses most of these even are. I'm just familiar with the more common, cheddars, colby, farmer, swiss, etc. I LOVE good aged sharp cheddar. Don't know if you consider that a strong cheese?

But in my opinion, whether the cheese is considered "strong" or not, it shouldn't taste like the buck peed on it himself!