Goat Cheese and Soap making

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Loda Farm, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

Can anyone direct me to some websites, or publications on how to make goat cheese, and soap, and the things I will need to make them?

I am going to attempt soap first, and once I master that, I am going to "graduate" to cheese. I have never done either, or even milked a goat yet for that matter, :help: but once my pygmies kid, I want to try.

Thanks!
    Laura

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

teachsoap.com

I do sheep milk soap, but am thinking of making cheese first, then using the whey for soap.

3. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I'm doing it the other way around. My first cheese recipe goes like this......

half a gallon of milk
    heat to 180 in the crock pot/slow cooker (makes it easy to not scorth it)
    add half a cup of plain yogart and half a cup of white vinager
    wait 10 mins
    strain through a collinder lined with mulsin (yeah I know its not cheese cloth) that is put into a big pot so you catch all the whey to make french bread with
    mix in 1 tsp salt
    hang over the pot and let drain for some hours. The longer you let drain the drier....I like to drain about 4-5 hours and then keep in a washed out butter or sourcream tub. Makes a GREAT spread!!!!

See.....it really is that easy to start making cheese.

4. EatChevre

EatChevre I Brake for Dairy Goats

A great cheesemaking website is http://www.cheesemaking.com/ . This is the New England Cheesemaking Supply Company. They offer lots of equipment, recipes, tips, information, etc. - and they offer classes too. It is my favorite site for everything related to making cheese.

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I never even thought to use muslin...I didn't have any cheesecloth so just poured the entire thing into the colinder and let the whey run into another bowl. Yup, lot's of dirty dishes here!

6. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

Do you heat the yogurt also, or continue the 180 degree heat for 10 minutes?

Sounds good I'll give it a try! :)

Susie

7. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

L. Farm, While waiting for your girl to kid, start getting her used to the milk stand. YOu can brush her there and pick up her feet. That way she will be used to the stand and milking for the first time won't be so scary for her...wish I had done the same!

8. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

When it gets to 180 I just shut off the slow cooker. Though while using a new slow cooker today to make chedder I learned that it just keeps warming up while its turned off, so today I just took the ceramic pot out of the slow cooker base, and put it on the cold stove to sit.

I use muslin because its cheap. I just took my "cheese cloth" that came in a cheese making kit that I ordered from New England Cheese Comapany and its just as gauzy as the mess we buy at grocery stores. So I'm gonna keep using muslin. My mom tells me that when she was a kid cheese cloth was cheap and her grandmother used to send it to them by the bolt!!!! Can you imagine???? I'm gonna have fun learning new cheeses. I love cheese.

GOOD LUCK!!!

9. zameluzza

zameluzza :)

10. goatladie

goatladie JustALittleGoatCrazy....

Well, I tried the cheese spread recipe and it is good, Midkiffsjoy!~ Thanks for sharing!~ I think I would like to try some with some herbs or different flavor as well (nuts, etc) - anybody care to share on what combinations they use ( along with how much cheese it goes into) Thanks!~
    .... also, who has a great french bread recipe? Or what else should I use the whey for?