Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bred my goat ! its to soon to tell if she took, she was suppose to spend the weekend with the buck but the next day was screaming and running away from the buck, so got called to come get her. fingers crossed ! if shes bred , her due date is june 1st. but we all know due dates are just estimates.. lol

i am now , as of this year, owner of my property! if anyone is use to my posts then you would know ive lived at my house for well, going on 6 years now. and the deed was in my dads name. we been wanting to get it switched over to my name for 3 years now, we just never had the time to get it switched, but finally the time has come ! doesnt really change much though , i was already paying for the property tax and upkeep of everything. BUT its official !

my plans this year for my little homestead is. well of course , make my fence repairs. BUT i did hear word of my neighbors thinking about selling their buck.we have had no issues of him getting out since the first accident. and i do now have the medicine that will induce a rejection/abortion for goats if he did manage to get out . so i am prepared.

build a better barn for the goats.. currently using a 8x10 shed that came with my property. its done well. but i need something a little better , and with 2 stalls so i can keep goats separated when needed. all im going to have is 2 goats...for now.. i may have 3 at one point but when that happens one will be retired , and one will be a replacement for the retired. im trying to draw some blueprints up. because i will be building it rather then buying a ready built structure. id actually like to see some photos of your setup so i can maybe get better ideas of what i should be building. :)

make a larger easier to clean duck house. the house the ducks are currently in is a little small. people kept dropping off their ducks i started with 8 , and now currently have 16. ill be downsizing when the weather gets better. as i have far too many drakes. but i did start getting duck eggs in the past week !!! excited !! easier to clean is a MUST i can clean this duck house , and the next day they have it completely muddied up. AHH

all this is going to take quite a bit of money. and a lot of time. but i also decided im going to try to learn to manage my money a LOT more this year. maybe someone can teach me. lol i make about 12-15 a hour (it flux due to commission evenly divided to workers based on hours and sales.) im full time, but been kept at minimum hours. which is 32 a week. and i get paid weekly.. so im looking at anywhere from (before tax taken) $384 - $480 and once and a while a random wildcard week where i take home more .. if i plan to put back 100 each paycheck or 200 on high pay weeks i should be able to at least get enough to build the new goat barn before the babies are born. (if she in fact pregnant. im keeping my hopes up, and if shes not pregnant , then i will continue to try.) i wanna put back as much as possible each paycheck , but i know i will have living and homestead expenses along the way, like my car randomly breaking down at the beginning of the year and costing me $700 that i had already saved toward this barn... go figure.. lol oh well , gotta look at the bright side. car is fixed and i dont have to worry about it now. and hopefully looking at an ok tax return as well , which will all be going toward this new barn.

what do you all have in sight for this new year? :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I hope she's bred. Depending on your location, late spring is a perfect time for babies. Are the goats just for pets or are their certain goals in your head?

Goats are in my future too this year. I have my reserves for two cashmere doelings and two boer doelings. They should be born in the next month or two and we can get them weaned around June-ish. Our goat barn needs a little TLC-- the last goats we borrowed destroyed the ceiling insulation in places that wasn't covered in plywood. So that needs doing as well as replacement windows/trim. Looking into buying some new lengths of flex-fence from Premier. I can't wait, I'm 36 but feel like I can finally start to adult and get to do what I want. ;)

·
Premium Member
26,245 Posts
Congratulations!

Duck house, if I was to build one and keep ducks again I would go with a cement floor and concrete block building. It may not be cheaper but it would be easier to clean (especially if you can put a drain in the floor with a pipe underneath running to a garden or flower bed) and would not rot like a wood structure will. Add some glass block windows for light, a couple vents near the top and a good sturdy door. The roof could be a regular roof with a middle peak or it could slope to one side (but NOT toward the front). I would put plywood and synthetic roofing paper over the rafters and use metal roofing instead of shingles.

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
Good for you Pooper! It sounds like you have a good start. A lady my wife knows that raises "show chickens" (yes) has 22 Nigerian Dwarfs that she keeps penned in 5 foot cattle fencing framed by 1x4s. She originally had 4' fencing until she caught the buck tighroping along the top one morning.
As far as finances, there was a recent thread here about the minimum wage. Several posters here scoffed at someone surviving in the modern era on $600 a week. I have always tried to live, and taught our kids, that it isn't how much you earn but how much you keep that is important.
This year we will also be doing fencing, more buildings, increasing livestock, clearing timber and of course handling the unexpected that will certainly come up.
I am surprised your neighbor hasn't approached you to buy her buck.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope she's bred. Depending on your location, late spring is a perfect time for babies. Are the goats just for pets or are their certain goals in your head?

Goats are in my future too this year. I have my reserves for two cashmere doelings and two boer doelings. They should be born in the next month or two and we can get them weaned around June-ish. Our goat barn needs a little TLC-- the last goats we borrowed destroyed the ceiling insulation in places that wasn't covered in plywood. So that needs doing as well as replacement windows/trim. Looking into buying some new lengths of flex-fence from Premier. I can't wait, I'm 36 but feel like I can finally start to adult and get to do what I want. ;)
my goats are both pets and for milk. eventually i might keep a few for meat. buuuut. im not quite ready for that yet. lol my breed of choice so far is Nigerian dwarf. i might wanna change it as i get use to raising them , but their milk is really creamy and was a easy transition from store bought whole milk. i was planning on getting her bred in november. then december. but things kept getting in the way of that.. but i agree , i think june would probably be the best time for birthing in my area i dont have a heated barn like some people. late spring may still have some chilly days , but KNOCK ON WOOD we wont have freezing weather.

i still feel like im struggling to adult... but im trying to force myself lol i still got a long way to go in this "adult" world. but i think im making progress. im going to be 26 this year. ive wanted to start a little homestead since i was 16 , been planning on starting it when i moved here. finally got it figured out and started LAST year. family told me they thought i was crazy for doing it, as im "still young, you should be exploring and discovering yourself" "its too much responsibility. " "you sure you can handle all those animals !?" "your going to get bored of them, when you have kids" "what are you going to do with them , when you go on vacation?" ... like i never been interested in GOING somewhere for a vacation. when i get time off work , even 3 days in a row. heck when i collect enough days off, im going to take a week off. JUST to have a staycation. a week of not having to GO to work ...that .. will be a blast ! vacations cost to much.

lol good luck on the fix up of the barn ! :D my little shed had a little insulation in the joints. i ripped it out , and filled it with expanding foam and then covered it with wood. so they wouldnt be tempted to go take a nibble. so far so good. lol

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congratulations!

Duck house, if I was to build one and keep ducks again I would go with a cement floor and concrete block building. It may not be cheaper but it would be easier to clean (especially if you can put a drain in the floor with a pipe underneath running to a garden or flower bed) and would not rot like a wood structure will. Add some glass block windows for light, a couple vents near the top and a good sturdy door. The roof could be a regular roof with a middle peak or it could slope to one side (but NOT toward the front). I would put plywood and synthetic roofing paper over the rafters and use metal roofing instead of shingles.
i was thinking a metal floor. concrete is hard to do on my property as its small. plus i like the ability to drag my buildings to different areas of my yard to give it a fresh patch of yard. lol if i had more land i would probably do exactly what your thinking though.

the one i currently have is .. idk , picture one of those basic rabbit hutches people buy, has a slope toward the back. thats the shape . the lid opens fully, and has a small door on the front , has a window. buuuut , its all wood, and im short , so when im trying to collect eggs i have to hoist myself up on the wall to reach into the house because of course they lay in the back of the box. lol

thinking about making the whole front open rather then just a small door. so i can open it ,and just drag all the gunk out to put into my bucket for the compost pile .

if my shed holds together after i build the new barn, it will most lilkely become the duck house. but its a really old shed , and it will most likely just break if we try to lift it with the tractor. but that would save me a little fime and money if i can just reuse ! :D

·
Premium Member
26,245 Posts
Ah, you are thinking portable. I was picturing a big building, at least 8 feet by 10 feet. I had considered a small coop like that if I decided to raise pigeons again but hadn't quite got the flooring figured out. I was debating if it should have a cage wire floor or a combination of cage wire and plastic lumber. Wood is so hard to clean in portable coops and the stores keep them closed off so you can't really look at them to reverse engineer one.

I like the idea of a wire floor because the waste falls through but wire can be hard on bird feet and it's cold in the winter.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good for you Pooper! It sounds like you have a good start. A lady my wife knows that raises "show chickens" (yes) has 22 Nigerian Dwarfs that she keeps penned in 5 foot cattle fencing framed by 1x4s. She originally had 4' fencing until she caught the buck tighroping along the top one morning.
As far as finances, there was a recent thread here about the minimum wage. Several posters here scoffed at someone surviving in the modern era on $600 a week. I have always tried to live, and taught our kids, that it isn't how much you earn but how much you keep that is important.
This year we will also be doing fencing, more buildings, increasing livestock, clearing timber and of course handling the unexpected that will certainly come up.
I am surprised your neighbor hasn't approached you to buy her buck.
i just hope things go as planned.. lol because life like to throw us a curve ball way to often. just trying to stay positive about the whole thing.

my sisters friend raises and sells show chickens. for like $80 a chicken , which i find insane. then again .. how do i get in on that !? lol !!!! and 22 GOATS HOLY CRAP .. like legit though ! what does she do with all that poop !? lol i mean i know people have a lot more land then me , but still ... i can barely keep up with 2 goats poop. lol !!!! i luckly havent had a issue with mine getting out , or him getting out since the first time i posted about it. though he does try , he just cant get enough of a hop to get up their fence thankfully... if they had one like mine, he would get out every day. i just hope they get him sold before he does figure it out.. lol

600 a week would be amazing honestly! i could keep 300 and save 300 .. heck i would live on 200 and put 400 away a week! im tech. min wage. which is . $8.56 in my state. plus commission , so i just added the commission to my wage. which is the 12- 15 an hour estimate. my low average of take home pay is 330 a week.

neighbor knows how much i dont like the buck . so thats why shes never offered to sell him to me. she knows i wouldnt keep him. IF i did take the offer to buy him.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, you are thinking portable. I was picturing a big building, at least 8 feet by 10 feet. I had considered a small coop like that if I decided to raise pigeons again but hadn't quite got the flooring figured out. I was debating if it should have a cage wire floor or a combination of cage wire and plastic lumber. Wood is so hard to clean in portable coops and the stores keep them closed off so you can't really look at them to reverse engineer one.

I like the idea of a wire floor because the waste falls through but wire can be hard on bird feet and it's cold in the winter.

i was thinking like , flat metal . like some kinda roofing metal for the floor , so its smooth and could be easy to hose up or scoop with a shovel. i didnt really think about the wire flooring. hmm... it would be hard on their feet , agreed. and you cant really give bedding if its wired otherwise it defeats the whole waste drop . HMMM .. the shed , if it stays in tact, is 8x10 .

im going to mostly focus on the barn build , then work on other projects after. once i get the money saved up ,me and my dad can have that building up and ready within about 2 weeks depending on my work schedule. im picturing metal walls on the outside, and then wooden half walls inside for the stalls so goats cant kick,lean or anything else to destroy the metal walls. plus .. if i build this thing, its going right where my danger spot is on my fence.2 birds with one stone. :D

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
Blue Mountain Lavender Orpingtons are the chicken breed I believe. $100 full grown, $50 for chicks. Recipe- add a black split Roo, an incubator and boom!
Not rocket science and suburban transplants love them. The ones my wife has will roost on the sleeping pigs and hop on your thight as you crouch down; very sweet birds.
Goat poop to the compost pile and later into the garden or your raised beds.
Your best lessons, and the ones you will pass on the most, are the ones you learned thru mistakes, trial and error and pocketbook.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Congratulations!

Just a tip to save money on building supplies that may more may not work in your area:

Around here the big box home improvement stores have their questionable lumber and other building supplies on racks in the back where you can save 70-90% on them. We built an entire pigeon coop (9' high at the peak, 6' diameter) out of discarded redwood that cost us a whopping $30. Our 8'x6' chicken coop was mostly built out of discounted 2x4's and the siding was all from the 70% off bin.

If you have any Habitat for Humanity stores in the area, they're a great place to get cheap windows/doors and such. We also got a roll of vinyl flooring there for $10 that we glued down on the bottom of the chicken coop - sooooo simple to clean and I'll never build another chicken coop without a vinyl floor. Might work for ducks too if you make sure your edges are sealed well?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Metal roofing can often be bought cheap from a supplier that made a mistake or had a order go wrong. They also often times have leftover material from the end of a roll to get rid off.

Supply yards that sell steel also often times have odd shaped or sized metal sheets at a discount. One near me specializes in selling ”seconds” which for farm use is pretty nice materials.

Same applies for lumber yards and box stores as mention above. Got to keep a eye open and have money in your pocket when a good deal comes up.

Congrats on the homestead and good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts