Goat Books ?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by crowinghen, Nov 8, 2005.

1. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what are your favorite goat books?
    I have had goats for years, a couple of whethers, but now have 2 Nubian does that I would like to get bred and milk. I would like some info on milking, some cheese recipes, also how to recognize health issues and their treatments. So maybe a book more specifically geared toward dairy goats?
    I had 'Raising milk goats the modern way" but leant it to the neighbor... I didn't think it was that great of a book, so probably won't ask for it back. I though it had too much on feeding and not enough health milking stuff.

Maybe even a goat magazine would be helpful--- or is there a place on the Web where this info is already?
    Still I enjoy a good biik ;) oops, book :p

Looking forward to replies,

Susie
    Any favorites?

2. T Lynn

T Lynn Well-Known Member

One of my favorite books is "Making Money with Goats" by Ellie Winslow. It has alot of good information about raising dairy goats and what you can do to make money with them. Just google the name. I ordered it off of the internet. And dairygoatplus.com is a great website for information, along with this one.

3. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I vote for AIDS to goatkeeping by Corl A Leach. It has lots of good info in it. I got it from the library. Didn't like the Raising goat the modern way or succesful way myself.

4. AmazingAlpines

AmazingAlpines Member

I love reading goat books and have several favorites. These are some of my favorites:
    Your Goats: A kid's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats by Gail Damerow

Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goat by Jerry Belanger

Caprine Supply's Goatkeeping 101

Gail Bowman's Raising Meat Goats For Profit

Tori

5. Oscar

Oscar Well-Known Member

I have the following...

Pygmy goat Management and Veterinary Care by Lorrie Boldrick-- I use this a lot

Barnyard in your backyard by Gail Damerow-- I love this book

Raising Milk Goats Successfully by?-- I don't use this at all.

don't own these but I have referenced them it a bit...
    Storey's Guides are usually pretty useful

The New Goat Handbook by by Ulrich Jaudas

There is also a fantastic book on veterinary practice on goats. I believe it is available through Hoegger and Caprine Supply. This is a goat vet bible and so not for most of us. i have used bits and pieces from a friend's copy when attempting to self-diagnose my goats It is a pretty great book, but you must have a good grip on medical terminology. it is also costly.

6. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

In emergencies or just to look something up I always go to Story's Guide To Raising Dairy Goats. In my opinion its the best.

"Had GOD wanted man to milk cows HE would have given us four hands. HE didn't, therefore I milk goats"

7. prairieoak

prairieoak New Member

Well, after 25+ years raising pygmies, I've been self-publishing a basic care book for several years now that culminated from some written care instructions given out to my own customers, and it's grown tremendously since then... although it's geared toward the two dwarf breeds (pygmy and nigerian dwarf), it's almost all management and health-related, which of course, applies to ALL breeds. As a long time contributing author, many of my published articles are in there too, on various health-related topics. It's a little over 150 pages now, and includes some illustrations on hoof trimming, vaccinating, etc. I sell it for $23.95 which lincludes the priority mail postage, and I have a paypal link to it off my website. If interested, see:
    www.PrairieOak.com
    Patty Putnam
    Prairie Oak Miniatures
    :)

8. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

Goat Medicine by Mary Smith and David Sherman....it's the only thing on my Christmas list! :sing: