Goat Blind in one eye.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Goat Freak, May 2, 2006.

1. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

THe other day my cousin told me that one of our goats was blind in one eye, I didn't believe her so I didn't check until yesterday, but she is. It is cloudy, white, swollen, and is rimmed with red. Is there anything that I can do to save her eye, we already checked and she can't see out of that eye. I am going to seperate the mutt goats from the boar goats because the mutts have been getting too many injuries, and I think it is the boers doing it. Thank you in advance for any/all replies. Bye.

2. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

has she had pinkeye and it hasn't been treated? pinkeye can lead to blindness. you should treat both of her eyes with triple antibiotic ointment (like neosporin) daily until the pink is gone. Treat both eyes even if the other one appears fine. it probably won't do much for the one eye if she is already blind in it, but it will prevent her from going blind in the other eye.

http://www.goatworld.com/articles/pinkeye/pinkeye.shtml

3. Goat Freak

I don't think that it is pinkeye, her eye never turned pink, and it is swollen and pushed out a bit like something hit her. THank you though, I will try it anyway. Bye.

4. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a goat with one eye totally missing.. It has only caused her to be more skittish..

5. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Check all around under her eyelids for a seed or awn that might have worked its way in. Foxtails (also known as cheat grass), especially, can work their way pretty far in, so look very closely. They can be so far in that they just look like a couple strange looking hairs sticking out of the middle of a small lesion. You need to pull them quite firmly to get them out. I caught a foxtail in a goat eye pretty early on, but my dog had one almost completely embedded in her paw. It was in at least a half-inch deep before she started limping and we took a close look.

Check out this link for the delights of foxtails, with pics of the nasty seeds: http://www.cccgdr.com/resources/foxtails.htm .

Remove any foreign matter in the eye, and use antibiotic eye ointment for a few days. Sometimes, if it's that sort of damage, they can regain their sight once the eye heals.

6. Goat Freak

THank you. I will check. Bye.