Goat Birthing Situation.. Need advice

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians, May 2, 2005.

1. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Just the tiniest of corrections. Mostly because a rip in the uterus is a huge, go to the vet, big deal. She likely has a small rip on her cervic. This tear will go into the closing cervic and cause her to push, once the small piece has been pushed out, it no longer gives her the urge to push, until it goes back into place and makes her bear down again. A little banamine every day for 6 days, better yet split the dose of 1cc per 100 pound and give it to her every 12 hours, takes the edge off, and lets it stay in place better to heal faster without her pushing, which keeps the tear open.

Now that you have gone inside, next time don't let the doe labor between kids this long, go in after she is still pawing, you knew there was more going on with her, go with your instinct, cleanly, never forcing anything, you would have found the kid, likely been there and seen the malposition which ripped the cervic, been able to pull the leg back or whatever happened.....you would have stimulated labor and pushing by entering your hand into the cervic, and the kid would have been born immediatly, and you wouldn't have even been up till 10 pm :) Another way to help is to milk the doe of most of her colostrum, right after the first kid, this stimulates her own oxytocin which contracts the uterus. Good luck with the kids.

We do so much better with all this when we go with our gut, especially as women. vicki

2. quiverfull

quiverfull Member

Vicki,
    Thank you for your reply.. I will get the banamine tomorrow. Can I give her aspirin for now?

I really was not sure there were more, other than the pawing which she did only once she was not acting like she was in labor any more. I had just had a doe deliver one kid the week before, so I was thinking that she was done. But you are right, I should have realized there was probably more going on.

Crystal :)

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Aspirin is very hard on the goats rumen, not something you want to do on a new mom who has to start eating alot of calories from grain to milk well. Plus when using people aspirin it's 13 and 1/2 of our aspirins for 100 pounds!!! Way to much for a rumen. Get the Banamine, it works well, and is one of those things that should be kept on hand, great for lessening diarrhea in kids, calms the gut, is great for pain, and swelling in the lungs during penemonia or the udder during mastitis. Even with Banamine we give Probiotics by mouth. Vicki

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I agree with Vicki.I wait 30 minutes between kids, IF I think there is another, I go in. other wise, it is up on the milk stand, helps get rid of the afterbirth. but mine, usually get rid of the after birth, with in 45 minutes of birth,. But I use BO SE. I have found it makes a big differance.

5. quiverfull

quiverfull Member

Yes this will now become my method as well!

I thought I would give an update this evening... My mama goat was doing much, much better this morning and was no longer bearing down. She was not super eager for her grain this morning so I gave her a Vit. B shot and some probis in no time at all she was out with the rest of the herd and eating fine. This evening she was doing very well, was happy to be milked and eating fine.

Thanks so much for your tips and advice... one thing I am learning about goats is that after 7 years I STILL have a lot to learn!! :)