Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a younger goat 6 months old. She was attacked by something in the middle of the night. It is to late to call a vet and there’s no emergency ones near me that see goats.

she’s outside covered in a small amount of blood, laying down, reusing to move. She’s crying but not horribly. How do I move her inside? Do I move her inside? I live alone, but she doesn’t weigh much what do I do????

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
If she were mine, I would definitely bring her to a safe place, get enough light to see the injuries and decide from there. She should not be left laying in her own blood outside where she continues to be at risk, especially if you don't know what attacked her. Get light on her, get her cleaned up and determine the extent of the injuries. You will have to determine if you need to euthanize or work to save her.
She is likely in shock as well. Common signs of shock are trembling, cold legs and/or ears legs, rapid breathing,a lower than normal temp.
After you move her to safe place with enough light you can see what's going on.
Give her a shot of Tetanus antitoxin 5 cc and put in a call to your vet. Be ready to take her in as soon as they open - with a badly sick goat, II call them a 2nd time, when they open, from the car, and tell them I'm 'coming in hot.'
You say there's blood - she likely needs a B complex shot ( 1 cc per 25 lb) first, and give a subq shot of Banamine: 1 cc per 100 lb. Watch her temp. If she's shivering or her temp is low, cover her with blankets to keep her warm. Clean her wounds up with iodine diluted with either clean water or saline. You'll be able then to tell if she has puncture wounds (bites) which are notorious for infection. She will likely need antibiotics and may require stitches and/or bone splinting if a leg was broken.
Don't let her lay on her side if you can avoid it. If she can tolerate it, proper her up on her sternum - of course this depends on her injuries and broken bones.
Give her a drench of energy - molasses mixed in water, karo syrup in water, goat drench if you have it. keep water within easy access.

Good luck, let us know how things go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If she were mine, I would definitely bring her to a safe place, get enough light to see the injuries and decide from there. She should not be left laying in her own blood outside where she continues to be at risk, especially if you don't know what attacked her. Get light on her, get her cleaned up and determine the extent of the injuries. You will have to determine if you need to euthanize or work to save her.
She is likely in shock as well. Common signs of shock are trembling, cold legs and/or ears legs, rapid breathing,a lower than normal temp.
After you move her to safe place with enough light you can see what's going on.
Give her a shot of Tetanus antitoxin 5 cc and put in a call to your vet. Be ready to take her in as soon as they open - with a badly sick goat, II call them a 2nd time, when they open, from the car, and tell them I'm 'coming in hot.'
You say there's blood - she likely needs a B complex shot ( 1 cc per 25 lb) first, and give a subq shot of Banamine: 1 cc per 100 lb. Watch her temp. If she's shivering or her temp is low, cover her with blankets to keep her warm. Clean her wounds up with iodine diluted with either clean water or saline. You'll be able then to tell if she has puncture wounds (bites) which are notorious for infection. She will likely need antibiotics and may require stitches and/or bone splinting if a leg was broken.
Don't let her lay on her side if you can avoid it. If she can tolerate it, proper her up on her sternum - of course this depends on her injuries and broken bones.
Give her a drench of energy - molasses mixed in water, karo syrup in water, goat drench if you have it. keep water within easy access.

Good luck, let us know how things go.
i brought her inside, I was able to get a blanket under her and then mover her on to a like round fuzzy chair I have and use that to stabilize her for that move. I was also able to clean her off enough so I could apply triple a to some of her wounds. I’ll be taking her to the first vet I call that sees vets once they open.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Is this goat a pet, or livestock? It all boils down to money. If this goat is for meat or milk, the first trip to vet will cost twice what the goat is worth. Have you been able to look at the wounds? And, is the bleeding stopped? I would stitch up the wounds, and give her a shot of antibiotics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts