goat antibiotics ??'s

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Oct 18, 2006.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Had my vet out today for some blood testing on a couple new goats and asked him about my two May 06 bucklings that have a hacky little cough for a good 6-8 weeks now that a round of Nuflor 2 weeks ago did nothing for. Our weather is cold and damper now and they almost seemed to be a bit more congested sounding when they cough. None of my adult does, who share the same fenceline have any coughs at all, so guessing it's just a virus they are fighting. The vet said I could do more antibiotics to prevent secondary infection and actually recommened Micotil (sp) which I know is deadly to goats (and people!) even tho it's great for cattle. He said he didn't know that, but said it worked on sheep. Well, after being that ignorant about that I don't trust him. He recommended using Draxxin, which is a new drug and supposedly works wonders on cattle for all sorts of things. I can't find any goat info on this. Anyone heard of it/used it? Would you just keep an eye on these boys? They are starting to be in rut and eating like hogs, no snot, no temps, acting perfectly fine, except that darn cough. They are worm free too. Thanks, Jenny

2. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Personally I would use LA 200 (oxytetracycline injection) or Naxel since they are proven to work on goats.

They also stay in their system for 24 hours so you don't have to give that many shots (for a BAD infection in my goat I only gave 2 shots of LA 200 and it was GONE!!)

You also maybe battling lung worms.

You can also try VetRx in the nose - worth a shot.

3. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Now, I may be wrong, but aren't lung worms connected with wet areas? Our goats have no access to any wetland/ponds/streams. I'd also heard from someone that this area in Wisconsin (North central) doesn't have them. Is that wrong or right?

4. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

I really don't know - let me check into that for you. I have to keep every possibility open since I live in a very humid climit. I will pass on anything I find.