Goat and goat's milk questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by second_noah, Dec 1, 2004.

1. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Just have a few questions for all you goat folks!

Do any of your drink goat's milk instead of cow's milk? I am curious because I'm lactose intolerant and wondered if people react the same to GM.

Do you have to pasturize GM or can you drink it whole?

What are the best milk goat breeds? I have heard a little about nubians and boers, but have recently been 'photographically' introduced to Saanens :D and am curious about them all.

Any comments?

Thanks ya'll,

~Christina

2. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Hi Christina!
    I have to say this first- don't buy canned grocery store goat milk! It is nothing like "the real thing" actually it is barely edible.

I drink only goat's milk- can't see buying cow milk when I can get better milk from the barn for a lot cheaper. Bought cow's milk for some company last week and I can't stand it now. Waaaayy too thin! Goat milk is so rich and creamy!

It has a smaller amount of lactose than cow milk and smaller fat globules, so it can be more easily digested by folks with sensitivities. There is still lactose though, tolerance would vary from person to person. I did have a co-worker who could not digest cow milk but had no problem with goat's.

You don't have to pastuerize. I drink all my milk raw. I think pastuerizing gives an off flavor. Small children or people who have weak immune systems should only have pasteurized milk though.

There isn't a "best" goat breed (although I'll get some arguements for saying that!) there's not a goat Holstein that dominates the industry. The huge commerical dairies almost always have a variety of purebreds. Your best breed is one that has plenty of quality animals available in your area, both to breed your does to and as an outlet for your stock sales.

Or just go with what you like to look at. I have registered Toggenburgs and I decided on Toggs because my great-grandparents had milk goats and I have a photo of 4 year old grandpa milking a Togg.

You can go here http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/goats/ and look at the different breeds. For dairy, the breeds are (in order of popularity) Nubian, Alpine, LaMancha, Saanen, Toggenburg, Experimental (cross of purebreds) and Oberhasli. Sables and Nigerian Dwarfs will be registerable next year.

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

It was store bought correct? That is why it is thin! ;) They take the wonderful full, rich milk from cows like Jerseys and Guernseys, mix it with the lower componented Holstein milk and then pasturize and homogenize it to death so all you have left is chalk and water....lol
    I love Jersey milk. I tried some Saanen milk from a goat dairy(she has maybe two does crossed with LaMancha) and it reminded me of the store bought milk. It was nothing like our Jersey milk. Not bad, but when you are used to Jersey milk...well, I would chose the Jersey milk over Saanen milk. Though we will be bringing in a purebred buck from her place next year.

There is a Holstein of the goat world and it is the Saanen. The Nubians are the Jerseys of the goat world. That is when you compare components and production. Saanens produce more but tend to have lower components and Nubians produce less with higher components. :) I forget where the other breeds fall in comparison to those two.

We are going to be milking our crosses this year and I am excited.

We have lots of crosses. Won't be drinking their milk but will be making soap with it. Ours are mostly dairy crosses, but tehre is some pygmy and Boer in there as well. Our Nubian, LaMancha cross has supplied milk for four kids before..

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

5. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

6. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I have only milked a nubian and alpine...

I have to say for quantity...the alpine gives a lot
    For cream and taste, you cant beat the nubian.

We will be milking another nubian and for the first time our ober this spring. I am excited and am looking forward to that!!!!!

When i first started drinking goats milk, it was very thick and rich to me...But i had been drinking 2% cows milk from the store before that. the goats milk is best very cold and as fresh as possible, imho.

i used my "older" milk to make cheese and yogurt from and kept the freshest milk to drink.

Belinda

7. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I can't tolerate the lactose in fresh cow's milk, but I have no problems with goat's milk at all. A family close by that I buy milk from has saanens.

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree about Jersey milk...one day I hope to have one...but for now I have mostly Nubian goats and the milk is more like store bought half and half. I have a toggy whose milk tastes off compared to the nubians but she has more volume and the calf doesnt mind the taste!

We only drink fresh goat milk and feed anything over a day to calf or make cheese...but I usually trade with my friend for her Jersey milk....and make butter with some of the luscious cream!

Goat milk is more digestible....but in the store we can buy Oakhurst "Nu-trish" milk that has acidopholus cultures added for people who are lactose sensitive.

My mother always told us the neighbors brown Jersey gave choc. milk and the farmer's wife always had a jug of choc. milk to prove to us! I have brown goats but no choc milk....whats the deal???? :eek:

9. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I can't drink cows milk, but can and do drink goats milk. now, to pasturize, that is the question. my vet . says to pasturize the milk, before drinking, but I rarely do. my goasts are healthy, and don't have even worms, so I don't most of the time. but it is up to the person.

10. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I drink my goat milk, much prefer it to cow milk, as we've been using goat milk for most of the last 21 years. We started with Alpines, which are good milkers. Had a Saanan (who was a really hard milker, with small teat orifices), and then some Toggs. A few years ago, after several years with no goats, I got some purebred Nubians -- I liked their milk better than any other we'd had. Now, after a divorce and moving cross-country to live with my grandmother, I have Kinder goats. Their milk is the best yet, though they don't give huge amounts. I like their small size, for our small place, too. And they are a comfortable size for this middle-aged female with a bad back to handle.

I've always drunk our goat milk raw, and fed it to our children raw. But, I was raised on raw cow milk and have never been taught to fear raw milk. If the animals are healthy, and the equipment clean, the milk is just fine raw.

Kathleen

11. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Goat milk is wonderful if you treat it right. Stainless steel or glass. Not plastic and keep everything very clean. cool it fast and drink it fresh.
    I drink mine raw. My Family thinks I am going to catch something aweful but I haven't yet. I think good cold goats milk tastes like really fresh pasturized cows milk. I don't like raw cows milk at all.

As far as breed..... Yea Toggs!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I say I raise Toggs?

Corky, of WOLF MOUNTAIN TOGGS :)

12. seahealth

seahealth Well-Known Member

very good an informative thread - someday I will get to taste some raw goat's milk, soon I hope