Goat and diarrhea

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Bunni, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Bunni

Bunni Active Member

I have a boer goat that has diarrhea twice in the last 2 weeks. I have never had this happen quite this way before. We got him on 11-28-04 and I dewormed him with Valbazen. Then I started him on Albon, I don't remember which day but Saturday he had diarrhea. I then gave him a dose of Cydectin because it was too late to get a fecal done and I though well gee what else could be wrong?

His diarrhea stopped but then started again today. I have him on the slippery elm and clove mixture since 1:30 this afternoon and have dosed him 3 times now 40 cc's each time. I gave him his last dose at 8:00 and 20 cc's of kaopectate for good measure (normally I would not do that but I am desperate, this is my husband's goat ya know). His temp is 102.2 which is not bad and he is peeing. I also gave him 12 cc's of Vit B injection and earlier some baking soda.

He still has diarrhea and I really do not think the slippery elm has had time to work yet. He must have started the diarrhea some time this morning. We did see him eat a little feed, maybe a cup earlier and I do not know if he is eating hay.

The only thing I can think of is I may have underdosed him. By the weight tape he is 110 lbs. I dosed him at 130 for the albon and valbazen and 150 for the cydectin. He had not been wormed since September and that was Safeguard and Ivermec. He has had CD&T shots. He is not moaning or seems in pain just seems a little tired right now but was walking around some today. What do you think?

Lynn

2. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Hello Lynn,

A couple thoughts . . . did the person you got him from give you some of their feed so that you could make the switch gradually ? If not, then it could be the change in feeds has upset the rumen. Also, different hay will do the same. I bought hay from a different supplier last year and my goats let me know not to ever do that again. It took about 4 days for them to adjust. Then we got our hay in and was so afraid to go through that again. There could be a different grass in there that he is not used to.

Also, how old he?

I would suggest giving him some Probiotics or a cup of yogurt to stabilize the bacteria's in his rumen.

Normal temps are good, so you're not looking at an infection. Baking soda will help for any upset and Vitamin B's will supplement any that he is not manufacturing himself.

I am sure others will share their knowledge to help, sounds like you are doing all you can for now. Keep us posted.

3. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Stop all grain and give him hay only, not alpha hay.

Give him plenty of water.

Then after he stops having diarrhea give the goat a little grain a very small hand full at a time. Increase a small amount about 3 or 4 days at a time don't be in a hurry this will cause a problem in the stomach.