Goat Abcess?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TNnative, Jan 18, 2005.

1. TNnative

TNnative Well-Known Member

My son has 3 Nigerian Dwarf does that he has owned for more than a year now. The oldest one, Windy, developed an abcess on her cheek/jaw, right after we got her. In looking it up, I was afraid it was CL. We took her to the vet, he cleaned her up and had the lab check it. It was not CL, according to the lab. A month or so after she healed, another abcess. Again, negative. It has been nearly a year with no more abcesses, and now she has another one. This one burst today and is draining. I found it this evening after I got home from work. My question is, can I clean this myself ? I watched the vet and all he really did was hose it out with peroxide, best I could tell. Can this be CL and the tests still be negative? Should I go ahead and take her to the vet to let him clean and test it again? Neither of the other goats have ever had this.

I read the sticky about CL and it said that you should catch the abcess when the hair is coming off, but the hair never comes off. It just bursts suddenly. Help!

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I would just clean it, whatever it is, it is too late to stop the spread of the disease or bacteria anyway. The very best thing to clean it with it 7% iodine, it's caustic, dries it up and kills it.

I would call the vet or the lab and ask them what they grew out of the material to know it is not CL. The sad thing was....a gal in Michigan, said 2 abscess on her goats where removed and sent to a lab, each came back with negative for CL. The problem...they where positive for Cornybacterium...and CL abscess is Cornybacterium :) CL, Caseous (cheese) Lymp (gland) itis (swelling of) is only what we call Cornybacterium abscess, and this was a lab connected to the state vet. :no: Vicki

3. TNnative

Oh no! :( The last test was nearly a year ago, I thought since it came back negative, they said it was NOT CL, everything was alright.

Thank you for the advice on the iodine. I will get some tomorrow and use that on her.

4. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

probably too late but just for safety sake use rubbergloves and throw them away. don't take in the house. Many other things can cause abcess like teeth.
    piece of straw or hay spliter, wood spliter. etc. Is this abcess over a gland??

5. TNnative

I don't think it's in a gland, it's on her cheek. This is the 3rd time for it and it's always at this spot. I tossed and turned so much the night before, worrying about CL, that I took her to the vet yesterday to have it cleaned out and tested again. One vet seemed to think that it was caused by something she ate getting in her jaw, then the original vet walked by and said CL. I told him that he had tested her before and said it wasn't CL, so he looked back at the lab sheets. Whatever bacteria they had listed on the sheet was not the Cory????? that Vickie in TX mentioned. So, they're going to send a sample off to the lab again and see what it says. The original vet did say that CL was all over the area we live and basically he acted like I should not really worry about it.

But, I am worried. If it's CL, do I need to put down all 3 does? If it is and I do, does this mean my place is contaminated for good and we can never have goats again? If we can, how long does it take for this disease to be gone from the soil? If it's not CL, then why does she keep getting this abcess on her cheek?

Can you tell I'm not taking the vet's advice about not worrying? :no:

Major stress and worry here! :eek: