Go-To-Ground for Bunnies

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by chickflick, Apr 13, 2004.

1. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

In reading some of the posts on another thread it seems many of you who want your bunnies to have a nice area to live/play/exercise would benefit from my accidental discovery:

Several years ago I raised and showed Jack Russell Terriers. In the pursuit of this, we built a practice Go-To-Ground for them. This was the 'beginner' size. We dug a trench about 12"-18" deep about ten to twelve feet long with a 90 degree turn, put in a top & sides of plywood, then recovered with dirt, leaving both ends accessable for the dogs to run in and out.

Later, (after I quit Jack Russells) we installed a pond, put more dirt over the top of the go-to-gound for flowers, and would turn our bunnies loose. They LOVED it in there!! Now, I did not have them loose all the time because this was also my square foot garden area as well... BUT... it was a nice way for the bunnies to hang out.. and PERHAPS if they had been there ALL the time.. I could have gotten to the babies if need be???

OH... around the middle turn of the go-to-ground we made a hinged lid area (just in case of a stuck dog... never happened)

I'm thinking of doing this again so I can have some loose bunnies. Wonder if they'd use THAT instead of burrowing everywhere???

2. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nifty idea! You'll have to let us all know how it goes - sounds like fun, anyway!

I don't know if they would completely stop digging (keeps the claws 'trimmed'), but it might help... if its just an exercise area, might work well?!

Sue

3. slfisher

slfisher Well-Known Member

I tried letting mine use the chicken tractor and came back a while later to find it empty, with one bunny hopping around the chicken yard and the other busily digging his way out of the yard altogether.