Gnawing

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by animal_kingdom, Jun 4, 2005.

1. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I noticed today that our rabbits are gnawing at the wood frame of their hutch. The rest is wire.

I had two lop rabbits about 15 years ago. Don't remember anything except their names. We just got these a couple of months ago and are really learning all over again.

What can I give them to help them with that? A large Carrot? Anything?

I don't want them to chew themselves out of house and home...I don't want to build another hutch! lol

2. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    Give them some natural wood branches. Hardwood would be best. I wouldn't give them pine. They will eat the bark and gnaw the rest down to nothing. Rabbits must gnaw to keep their teeth worn down. Giving them a better gnaw toy should help save your hutches.

3. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

they are BORDED give them something to chew on and give them something to play with BALL TIN CAN STICK HARD WOOD such as a piece of cherry or maple it is sweet

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

NO CHERRY ANYTHING !!!!!!!! is poision to rabbits

Also make sure its a tree that has not been sprayed ,, apple or pear tree trimmings work well ,, check for what is or is not acceptable before you give anything ,,, I do believe I remember maple as being ok but check to be sure ,, I do know cherry is not!

5. animal_kingdom

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Don't have any cherry as goats can't have it either.

I did cut down some trees last week. They were mulberry and silver maple. I have more branches to trim this week. I'll save some extras. I can go out on the burn pile and pull some nice size branches from the tree tops and save them also.

Is the mulberry acceptable?

That's a good idea. I'm sure they're bored but I just thought they were keeping their teeth manageable.

Thanks alot! I totally appreciate your help!!! ;)

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to put some wire over the wood ?? can you fit inside the cage enough to maybe put 'corner' covers made from wire on ??

Mine chew on theirs too lol thank goodness I used 2x6s we had here extra ,, they got a lot o chewing to do to chew their house appart lol ,,

I've also heard of useing tabasco sause as a paint on the wood surface to discourage chewing ,, can you reach the exposed wood with a paintbrush ,, a quart of hot sause at Aldi's is like 99c would give you enough to paint several coats probably ,,, just a thought ,,

7. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

I think the mulberry is OK. It is Ok for chinchillas, so I'm just assuming. Maybe wait for someone else on that.

I also agree that they are probably extremely bored. This can be fixed by many things. Some old newpaper tends to be a favorite. All rabbits just LOVE to shred newspaper.

8. animal_kingdom

Saturday's Farmer Newspaper is huge! I would love for it to be used "creatively"...lol

The hutch is very large. One of my children can probably fit in there! It's 6 ft long divided in half for two rabbit pens, 3 foot deep and 3 foot high at the front sloping to 2 feet in the back.

Yes... :no: An unexperienced person made this hutch...ME!

9. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

LOL ... Now Now you are not the only one to think bigger is better ,, when we built our last hutch we made it 3ft wd x 3ft high by 8 ft long ,,,, two levels we had 2 x 6's extra ,, extra metal sheeting and 1 x 1/2 inch wire here ,,

each cage is 3 ft x 4 ft by 18inch high for bottom level and 22inches for the top level ,, I did remember to have hub make the doors 15 inches x 15 inches so I CAN fit into the dang things :haha: ,, it made 4 big cages ,, its wonderful for the does with kits ,, but that back corner is waay back there :rolleyes:

I have 1 old golf ball in each cage ,, 1 empty mushroom can in each cage ,, (we eat lots of mushrooms I keep all cans in a bag so I always have replacements if one gets rusty)

I found a open rings type ball at walmart in the kids section Nobbly Wobbly - 88c bought a bag of 35 bells in the craft dept ,, I bought 6 balls and the bag of bells for $6.95 put 1 bell inside each ball ,,,, same type of ball at the pet store was $6.99 EACH!! ,, and I've went and bought extra balls since ......

10. animal_kingdom

Oh my gosh! You went crazy too! lol

I felt bad for them in their little cages that are typical for breeding rabbits. When I made the chick pen hutches I made them the same size but in the front, I only made each door about 22 inches wide. I can get in far enough to reach the back corners but...uh hum...it's a squeeze!

So with the rabbit hutch I made the door the entire length for each side minus about 9-10 inches in the middle where I put a sliding wall in. I thought they might like to be together....I was wrong. Oh well, It has wire on it so they can make mean faces at eachother anyway.

btw, I gave them some maple branches today. They grabbed that thing and chowed down! Then I cut one for the buck and dd said..Mama..he won't like that. Next comment she made was...well, he's just doing that for you!

They loved them. Interested to see what the branches look like by morning!

I remember my dh's rabbit had a ball to play with. That was way back when we were dating. Only remember it because there was also a stuffed toy in there that he made interesting moves with...must have thought it was a girl bunny....

11. lizmont2000

lizmont2000 Active Member

We buy broken scrap sheetrock for pennies at Lowe's or Home Depot and break it up to put in the cages---they LOVE it! They chew it, eat it, sleep on it, kick it, scratch it, and it does not hurt them or the compost it eventually goes into.

I have heard that rabbits should not ever have wood to chew on because they can get splinters in their mouths or guts. I won't tell the wild rabbits this!

We also give them ping-pong balls and or wiffle balls to roll around their cages.

Haven't had any complaints from them yet!
    Oh yeah, incase it is a nutritional deficiency give them some crimped oats or black oil sunflower seeds a few times a week as a treat. Or bananas, they love those too........ok, our rabbits are spoiled rotten!

Liz

12. animal_kingdom

we give them oats and the sunflower seeds you mentioned. They eat those up!

It seems when they were gnawing on the frame, they were only gnawing mostly as there was a pile of shavings on the ground under their pens.

I think we have a couple of whiffle balls here. After awhile, they'll have more to play with than my children....lol