gnats, black flies or? how do you get rid of

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fmkjr, Jun 22, 2005.

1. fmkjr

fmkjr Member

We seem to have an army of either gnats, black flies or? and they attack when working outside. There are more in certain areas of the yard around the house. Mainly in the front yard near the road. Any idea how to get rid of them? Their bites are nasty and my wife cannot go out in the yard in the afternoon to evening/night. They "bug" me but not as much... I must be bitter tasting to them (smile). thanks frank :bash:

2. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

I'd like to know this myself.

Blackflies (I think that's what they are) LOVE to bite on my 2 year old daughter's head like it's a canape plate. They leave giant silver-dollar sized lumps and SCARS.

Last night, they apparently discovered my son tastes yummy too.

*sigh*

I know, DEET, but ya don't want to use it on kids too much...

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My Daddy wraps those sticky fly strips around his straw hat. Started with one strip around the band of the hat, but this year he covered the entire hat with them!

Plant catnip. It's supposed to keep bugs away...but you may attract a large number of cats!

4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Knock on wood. This year we've got muscovies and guineas, and for the first time, we've hardly any flies, mosquitoes, wasps, etc. They were thick this spring, but then the birds started roaming, and they disapeared.