GMAIL (by Google)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HermitJohn, Jan 4, 2005.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................john , that's great info about the 100mb. I'm kinda slow on the uptake in keeping UP with all the different modes and formats of internet discourse and email modes of transmission . I downloaded the 1.0v of firefox and when I tried to access the internet I kept getting the message that the modem was busy . Never could get it to work so I just removed ffox . Maybe this is a conspiracy by ms to prevent computer stupid folks like me from switching to mozilla , do you think?? fordy.. :rolleyes:

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I was in the second round of new gmail users and now have some invitations left that I haven't yet used.

If the site HJ posted doesn't have one for you, I have a few I can send. Just PM me. I'll be gone later today so it may not arrive until later.

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Make sure you agree with what you are getting into....GMail Is Too Creepy

Many of us here are privacy advocates, so thought you'd want to know another side to the story.

5. Windy in Kansas

I agree that you have to read all about the product and fully understand what you may be getting yourself into.

As for me, I won't be using it for my principle email address, but will send full text news stories to myself if I think I may want to refer back to them later. Many stories are gone after a few days.

The search feature is what I especially like. At one point I had over 3,000 emails stored in folders on my old computer. There was one occassion that I spent several hours looking for one particular email dealing with a family history item. Hm, did I send that 5 years ago or 6 years ago, and who all did I send it to? Sure would have been nice to search for a particular term and pulled it right up.

H.J. I really like the older browsers too. I use I.E. for this site simply because I can't stay logged in with Netscape. For almost everything else I use Netscape 4.8. However there are many pages I can't access or don't work properly. I even struggle with Ebay and PayPal. Netscape is quite noticibly faster than I.E.
    Also I don't nearly the amount of popups that I otherwise would, nor the spyware. Ad-aware takes care of the ones I get with I.E.

Newer browsers progress? Ha!

6. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Not a big deal, but GMail is 1 Gb of storage. Yahoo has 100 Mb of storage. Also, no email is safe from prying eyes unless you run your own email server and encrypt everything. Gmail's policy is no more intrusive than any other web based email service, despite all the rhetoric to the contrary.

7. Kittikity

Kittikity Small scale homesteader

I also have 6 invites if anybody wants them.. I don't have anybody else to give them to so they're just sitting there going to waste.. You all are welcome to them..

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I have around 20 invites if anyone needs one. Just PM me.

9. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

FireFox is cool for it's developement tools and open source add ons, but takes too long to load (compared to IE, that is...).

PM me if you want a gmail invite, I have a few.

10. Frontier_oaks

Frontier_oaks Well-Known Member

Just wondering how did all of you get invites. I must have missed something I didnt have internet for about 6 months that could be why I dont know

11. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

I love firefox!! Fast, doesn't crash, and doesn't take long to load on my 'puter. I have some gmail invites if anyone wants one...free for the asking...I love gmail too, lots of storage, can sort and search and never have to delete anything. Their privacy policy is no different that any other including yahoo and MSN and it's free.

I use gmail alot but not for my personal email as I have an ISP account, but for free, heck yea, why not use it the same way I use hotmail or yahoo?

Firefox is so cool, one thing that Gates doesn't own and it's getting more popular all the time. My IE crashed and burned constantly, always having those horrible messages about "encountering a problem and needs to close". I've used Firefox for a year and have never, not once!, had an error message, a fatal crash, or slowness. Some sites however will not work with firefox, but what the hey, a lot including ebay, paypal, my bank and such do, so I switched over and haven't used IE since.

Sidepasser

12. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Yahoo now has 250MB of mail storage. And now there's Walla with 1GB of free email storage.......http://www.walla1.com/viewer/Layout...1.com/conv.aspx?S=2&P=1&T=0&A=0&L=0&C=-1&L1=0

13. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

I'm so confused about all this email address stuff. I currently have my main email through my isp provider verizon. This is only given out to family etc. It has worked just fine.

I also have an email addy with softhome.net. This is a free account that has worked ok for the last 6 years. I use this for all my online ordering, subscription to forums etc. Recently (the last 6 months) however it has been a pia with bouncing messages, stacked up ques etc. It's been particularly troublesome with my yahoo group messages. If I put on my tin foil hat I suspect they are trying to force people to their "paid" service.:)

I'm about ready to give up and get either a yahoo or gmail addy. What worries me is the level of spam people tell me they get. Yahoo people say that yahoo separates out the spam and they only get 200 spam messages per week or so. This seems incredible as I only get maybe 3 per day at the most on my softhome account.

Maybe I don't surf around the net as much as others, but what generates all the spam messages people talk about? Is it more prevalent with well known email addresses like Yahoo? If yahoo separates out what it thinks are spam messages does that mean I would never see them, or does it mean I have to sift through the "spam folder" before deleting them?

Yahoo or Gmail? I'm so confused...

Wayne

14. CraftyDiva

Yahoo has a feature that you tell them it's spam. When you open an email and it's spam you just press the button "This is spam".The sender then goes on a list that sends all email from them (to anyone on Yahoo) into a spam folder. I just delete the "Junk" file without even reading any of it. Most spam comes from signing up for a site or info from a site. Also if you belong to any Yahoo "Groups" your email is there in Members list for anyone to use. I suspect they harvest email addy's from these groups which would account for all the spam most Yahoo members get. Also Yahoo does have a Member's list of it's own, which could also generate spam. Any Yahoo member can look up other members, so getting email addys isn't that difficult.

15. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I use Hotmail.And recently they have been really trying to get rid of the spammers.Or at least it appears that way.It now ask if you would like to report it as junk mail.And i have noticed all the encrypted ones no longer come after doing so.They also have 250megs of space.

But its also kinda funny after reading this a few mins ago.IE messed up and slowed down (like happens from time to time. :rolleyes: ) and it wouldn't open another page on the forum.So i went to check my hotmail.And theres an account opened for me at Gmail from a friend on another forum.(thats almost scary) :D I went and checked out gmail.Looks cool
    I tryed down loading Fire Fox a while back and it wouldn't download or open/run.I cant remember what the problem was.Figured it was IE protecting its butt! After hereing all the good things about you can bet I'm going to try again.Has anyone downloaded and switched to it from IE? Or was it just the site that night. :confused:

16. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

I did download firefox from IE, no problem. Follow the directions and you should be ok. You will probably have to turn off your virus scan protection to properly install (I did with Mcaffee on line), and after installation, I turned it back on. I now have a choice, IE or Mozilla Firefox. I always choose the fox...

Gmail is great - but you must be invited by another gmail user. I have received zero spam in that account so far. Yahoo and Hotmail are another story....and I keep my ISP provided email strictly for family and school use.

Gmail is for work and home if I want to send large files, things like that.

Sidepasser

17. Windy in Kansas

I may be wrong but--with gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. your messages are stored with the provider, i.e. not on your computer as with ISP provided email. The ISP email will be with the provider also until it is opened, then transfers to your computer. Is this correct?

I really don't like the idea of all of my messages being with a provider and having the possibility of them being hacked into, but I do like the search function gmail provides by doing so.

If you have a great ISP and use their email, I see no reason to have another address EXCEPT to have a disposable address for some things, signups, etc.

The topic of gmail SPAM was mentioned. For some reason I get maybe a half dozen per week, whereas the person that invited me has gotten none as of yet. I was surprised that I had SPAM with gmail even after just a couple of days as I really hadn't used it at all. Expect some addresses may be more prone to it than others.

18. CraftyDiva

Has anyone signed up for a 1GB email account at http://mail.walla.com/

It was fast and easy, only problem :( I'm having is sending out emails. Keep get server error message. Wondering if anyone else who signed up has any problems.

19. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

John, why did you delete your posts????

Ok, so now I'm confused on this issue of whether they store your messages on the server and you have to go to a website to retrieve your email.

My softhome account sends the messages right to my in-box. I don't want to have to go out to a website just to get my email messages. Does yahoo and gmail send the messages directly to your in-box or not?

Wayne

20. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Email you receive goes to your email service's server. That happens whichever email service you use. Whether its the email your isp assigned you or whether its a free account or a stand alone pay account. Some email services force you to go to a website to retrieve this mail. Other email services like those that of most ISPs offer have POP3 or IMAP service that letsyou retrieve this mail via an email client such as OE or theBat, Calypso, Pegasus, Kmail, Sylpheed, etc....... You can set your email client to delete the mail on the server once its retrieved or you can leave a copy on the server. Hotmail is sort of unique in that it uses a proprietary html system that only works with OE. (Hotmail and OE are part of M$ and M$ wants a monopoly on everything it does.) There are work arounds for Hotmail that let you use a regular non-OE email client, but tend to be slower and M$ changes things once in a while just enough that the workarounds have to also be modified......

Gmail offers POP3 just like most isp email services so you can set your email client to retrieve mail automatically. Gmail also offers alternate port SMTP service so you can send mail using their SMTP server. Some ISPs block the usual smtp port 25 so you cant use any SMTP server other than theirs. Some go further and wont let you use their SMTP server with any email other than that they give you. GMAIL using an alternate smtp port (other than port 25) to get around this blocking by ISPs.

USA Yahoo charges for POP3 and only offers SMTP service via port 25. However when you sign up for a Yahoo account you can check box for Australian, New zealand, Canadian, or British content and you will get an account in one of those countries. POP3 for Yahoo in those countries is still free. Go figure. Nothing wrong or sneaky in signing for a foreign Yahoo account. Yahoo gives you this option when you sign up for an account on the USA Yahoo website. They really intend this for foreigners living in USA who want the content for their native country, but anybody can do this.

By way nothing ominous about me deleting my posts in this thread. I was deleting some other posts and got these by mistake. The information I gave was accurate to best of my knowlege. I have not heard anything bad about the link to sign up for free GMAIL invite. No spam has made it to my GMAIL inbox nor extra spam to email I used to signup. I'd give link again but dont have it handy.