GM security chip keys

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Clifford, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

This morning, the wife comes in and tells me the GM car would not start. I checked it and the battery was fine, so I figured the starter had gone bad.

She ended up taking the van.

I got another set of keys (a newer key( to push it out of the garage and it started right up.

Has anyone had a similar problem with an older GM key (the one with the security chip on the key shank) that is perhaps beyond it's usefullness?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The GM key has a precision resistor mounted inside the plastic. It is unlikely that it would go bad but I guess anything is possible.

3. mink

mink Well-Known Member

our car did the same thing ....guy at the garage told me to wipe the key off with nail polish remover and sure as ---- it started.......guess even a small amount of dirt or dust can cause the key not to start the car.....mink

4. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a common problem. The system is called "VATS" and is easy to bypass if you are handy. The fix is to replace the ignition lock cylinder, bypassing it is much easier.

5. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

YEP!

It is a resistor. They had several values that they (GM) used. Cleaning it can make a difference. But you also need to clean the contacts in the key switch!

It can be EASILY bypassed. If it continues to give problems, let me know.

I did remote starts in those cars years ago and the security feature had to be bypassed in order to make themn start without the key.

Ita a really easy process. Just PM me if you need help in this matter. (not gunna tell everyone out there how to do it)

6. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

9 times out of 10 the chip is just worn down. If you ever compare a new one to the old you'll see that they wear the edges down to the point of non-contact. I've had a couple vehicles saved because of VATS and I typically will not bypass them. Granted the keys are a bit steep in price though... and IIRC GM used only 15 different values.

7. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

Thanks everyone for the helpful info on the keys/contacts. I'll see what I can do.