GM industry puts human gene into rice

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jhubbard, Apr 25, 2005.

1. jhubbard

jhubbard Well-Known Member

In an effort to be able to douse your foods with more poisons (to kill weeds) without killing the food, a company in Japan has put a human liver gene into rice.

"Scientists have begun putting genes from human beings into food crops in a dramatic extension of genetic modification. The move, which is causing disgust and revulsion among critics, is bound to strengthen accusations that GM technology is creating "Frankenstein foods" and drive the controversy surrounding it to new heights."

"...he and other scientists caution that if the gene were to escape to wild relatives of the rice it could create particularly vicious superweeds that were resistant to a wide range of herbicides."

2. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

This is absolutely horrifying! I hope we all teach our children to be self-sufficient. It's becoming more and more necessary.

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Sorry, but that's satanic. It's twisted and sick.

4. busy homestead

busy homestead Well-Known Member

Oh good heavens!
    Just makes it all the more clear that my family (and yours) needs
    to be more self suff...........

(sigh)
    Christina
    athome in South Dakota

5. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

EEEEWWWWW!!!!!!!

The mental pictures that conjures up.... Your rice winking at you.... Cannabalism!

YUCK!!!

You know, the self sustaining communities where everyone grows or makes everything that is needed for the residents and traded amongst each other is sure sounding better and better. There was a lot more of it when I was a kid and I wish I lived near people who believed that way now. I wouldn't buy anything at the store if I didn't have to.

mamabear

6. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Do any of you eat meat? If you do you are eating the same enzyme..what's the problem?

7. jhubbard

Bob,

Could you please provide us with some research that indicates this enzyme is present in the animal flesh we typically consume? I searched Google for anything similar, but I was unable to find the CPY2B6 enzyme mentioned in connection with anything but human livers.

The only meat I eat is chicken, and I certainly don't wan't to be fed human byproducts in any form. Call it a personal choice.

Problem is, we don't have that choice when GM food vendors are not required to clearly label their frankenfoods as tampered with and when their frankenfoods contaminate innocent, natural crops via cross-pollination.

For a nation so consumed with choice, I find it odd that we refuse to take control of the basic choice of what we put in our bodies.

I wonder if we could sue for conatmination if we get some nearby food crops tested postive for the unwanted genes? Lawsuits may make a bigger impression than anything else.

Jim Hubbard

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Jim, the big boys, Monsanto particulary, are actually sueing the farmers whose crops have been contaminated! Mt Satan claims that the farmers are growing and selling patented crops without a license. They also sue if you plant seed you saved that turns out to be contaminated with their genes. Totally warped people.

9. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I'll look up some sequences for you as soon as I get a chance. You are aware that the P450 family of detoxification enzymes are ubiqutous in nature.......plants, tapeworms, fruit flies, birds, fish, yeast, and mammals all have homologues of these enzymes. Some have more some have fewer but they all have some. Your body recognizes all of these enzymes as just another protein....because that's all they are!!

10. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I don't trust humans, they have a poor track record when it comes to what's healthy, and what's not.

11. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Well, the body may recognize that it is just another protein, but I don't normally have my neighbor on the menu.
    I'm sure that vegetarians probably feel the same about the consumption of any meat, but I'm not ready to turn to cannibalism yet.
    mamabear

12. jhubbard

I wish you were kidding.....

If you know of any information that I can use to get in touch with the farmers being sued by Monsanto, pass it along. I'd love to get into this one.